So I bought a Pred 212

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Just got done removing the governor and oil level sensor. i'm not so lucky this time around as the the gasket was torn in the process. It's only a few bucks so ain't too bad.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Just got done removing the governor and oil level sensor. i'm not so lucky this time around as the the gasket was torn in the process. It's only a few bucks so ain't too bad.
Did you have to remove the cam (as I did on Cheap B@stard)? I'm not looking forward to getting those lifters/push rods back in place, but maybe it won't be so bad.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Yeh, the first time around, i ended up removing the cam on the 99cc. I could remove the governor arm on the 212 w/o removing the cam as I cut the arm short from the outside before pushing it through the block. But putting it back in is also pretty easy. Just line up both dimples and you're set. After that it's just setting valve lash.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
with countless hours searching for a frame close to me for this motor, and hour searching this forum to see what others are using. I went with the Firmstrong Chief as AGK and oldtimer54 have use. Time for bed now.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
with countless hours searching for a frame close to me for this motor, and hour searching this forum to see what others are using. I went with the Firmstrong Chief as AGK and oldtimer54 have use. Time for bed now.
I think youll like it. Seems very strong to me and it makes fitting a big motor like ours a snap.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
It's been awhile and I haven't got much done on the bike. Been switching shift from swing to graveyard, and should be back to normal for while.
Here's a little update
Got the Firmstrong chief with disc brake front and rear. Respoked to 12g on the rear. Wasn't going to do anything today, had to prep the 99cc since it's sold so I though I would work on the 212. Sorry for the bad phone pix.

Front motor mount is welded to the frame. I'll be welding the rest of the mounting plate to the mount later. Rear motor mount is only welded to the plate right now. I had to crank the voltage on the mig up to six to get a decent flow.

Motor loosely fitted, and does have some rotation play for chain alignment later

The exhaust pipe might need a rework later. I think it's sticking too far out.

That's sit for today.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I"m building a suspension seat with ideas from lowbrow
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=page_view&p=tech_how_to_mount_a_solo_seat

Their seat hinge cost a whoopping $49

with the following parts at your local hardware store
the door hinge is $22 and a mending braze for $3.49

There is another spring in the garage somewhere.. These springs came off the Firmstrong chief seat.

The seat post will be welded to this and i'll be using the cloud 9 seat

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Looks cool; I thought you were going to cut off the top of the seatpost tube and weld the hinge flush with the bike frame's top tube.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
atombikes, I did grind the seat tube and about to weld it to the frame. But I didn't know if it's gonna work out or not and thought of I should keep the seat post if it didn't work out. This way, I can remove everything and not still have the seat post useable later, and be able to adjust the height/angle at the same time.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Just bought a set of Puch moped wheels. Front have some rust but should be ok since I don't plan to use it as I have a disc brake setup on it now. Rear looks ok but should be good once clean up. Hopefully 2.5" tire will clear the chain, I might have to offset the rear wheel by 1/8" to the right to clear it. if not, i'll pick up a 2.25" tire for it.

I'm also reworking the mounts to move the engine forward by 1/2" and 1" higher as the CVT is right by my knees. Reworking the seat since the puch wheel will allow for more space to play with.

Last edited: