Do long pedal spindles exist?

GoldenMotor.com

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
This seems sort of stupid obvious to me since I thought of it about 45 min. ago, but, what's preventing the use of longer pedal spindles to clear the motor? If they exist, where do you get them? If they don't exist commercially, has anyone had them made that you know of? I am pretty sure that an extra 1 3/4" on the spindle would not harm the crank unless you were planning on doing some drastic jumping. .wee.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know some downhill mountain bikes take a 150mm. the major thing though, if you have a frame that takes a 110mm, and you put a 150mm on it, your chain wouldn't line up anymore, because your chain side crank would be 2 centimeters out.

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
No, not speaking of the crank spindle as on a three piece crank, but the spindle on the pedal itself. They only protrude from the pedal far enough to get a flat wrench on them. Why not replace the spindles in your pedals rather than going for a long spindle for a three piece crank or wide one piece crank?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't get what you're trying to do. it's the crank arm itself that hits the engine, that's why people get wider ones, or bend them. just getting longer pedals wouldn't do anything except give you a wider stance.

but they do actually make pedal extenders that screw into your cranks and then your pedals screw into those.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Beer
They are also sometimes referred to as "knee-savers" but "pedal extensions" is more common. Icycles.com has them for about 20 bucks, I just bought some a few weeks ago.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Im using shorter cranks from a exersize bike to clear my motor,tho i would like to have wider 1 piece cranks some time. Its the crank arms that hit the motor, like Bairdco said, so just extending the peddals will not help.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
just seen recently, that lynn at custom bicycles, lists a long 8 inch spindle. would be ideal for us all. would need folding pedals as well, as getting through door ways would be a hassle. unfortunately. i live in the uk and lynn does not ship outside the states, like most american companies. Now let us all do some detective work.

where is she getting these 8 inch spindles from ???? must be china, but who?? i looked at the knee saver a long time ago, still not made long enough, and the price was extortionate.

Murf

Dec 4, 2008
sc coast
I am new at his so any help will be appreciated.Purchased a 3 piece BMX conversion for my 26" beach cruiser.Claims to fit any 1 piece crank bike.Once installed theres no thread left for the locking nut on the left side?And the sprocket side either?