HuaSheng 49cc on Staton friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

Willy79

Aug 15, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have mounted a HuaSheng 49cc engine on a Staton friction drive. I removed a Honda 35cc 4-cycle from this bike and replaced it with the HS. This bike has a 1.125 dia drive roller. The extra power of the HS is very noticeable and enough that I won't be going back to the smaller Honda. It handles the hills very well and is quiet and smooth running. I was going to put the HuaSheng on a new bike using the Grubee center mount kit but have since decided to keep it on the friction drive and eliminate the extra 20# of parts required by the center mount.

Attachments

Reactions: ChaXXon

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice use of the HS motor. It is a great lil motor. I had a in frame mount that I beat the heck out of with a shift kit and it took it. If you depend on the bike for a daily commuter you should pick up a spare carb. That's about the only thing that goes. Nice build

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
It looks good! What's your max mph, and your miles per gallon looking like?

I think my Subaru Engine on my Staton FD might have pooped-out (for lack of a better word) and that engine is only $140 on gas bike, so I might look into that...

Do you know what the criteria is for an engine to fit the staton FD kit?

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
On those friction drives.... does the knurled driver peg sit on the tire all the time? or can you ride the bike normal, then when you need it you can lower it onto the tire?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
On those friction drives.... does the knurled driver peg sit on the tire all the time? or can you ride the bike normal, then when you need it you can lower it onto the tire?
The Staton friction drive in the pic has a quick release lever that enables you to lift the driving roller off the tire into a locked position allowing you to pedal without any contact.

Release the quick release and push the roller into the tire then lock it and you are ready to motor.

Willy79

Aug 15, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
To answer MisterySandwich questions the HuaSheng engine will mount to the 76mm clutch, Staton mounting channel directly without modifications. You must also use the same Staton spacer between the motor and mounting channel. Since it has been too cold here to ride I have not determined its top speed. My guess is that the top speed will be close to the Honda 35cc which is around 26 mph. The only modification that I made to the Staton setup is to add a short link to the "U" shaped mounting bracket. This link allower me to have the HuaSheng motor mounted exactly level. From what I have read the HuaSheng needs to operate in a level position for the carburetor and oil system to work properly.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
From what I have read the HuaSheng needs to operate in a level position for the carburetor and oil system to work properly.
The Huasheng does not have to be level to work properly.

Could be tilted forward a bit with no problems and the Hausheng doesn't have a low oil cut off like the Honda GXH 50 which should be disconnected on a motored bike.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The Staton friction drive in the pic has a quick release lever that enables you to lift the driving roller off the tire into a locked position allowing you to pedal without any contact.

Release the quick release and push the roller into the tire then lock it and you are ready to motor.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is very cool, Willy!

Works out so well on all the compromises. Suspension frame, easily reverts to a a bicycle with no drag and normally spaced pedals. Noise and fumes behind you. I also really like the utilitarian look of her. All around, very cool.

I have been meaning to do a similar mounting since I saw Dave's "Junk Yard Dog" build.

Really looking forward to hearing your updates on your build.

.flg.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Where did you buy the engine from? I love the way your build looks, does anyone know the Horsepower of the Huasheng STOCK?

Also does the Huasheng have a return fuel line for unused gas like the robin subarus?

Last edited:

Willy79

Aug 15, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
I purchased the HuaSheng 49cc engine from GasBike.net. It came without any gas tank. I used the teardrop tank and mounted it high enough for gravity flow directly to the HuaSheng carb. All is working fine at this point.