New vari speed tranny build

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Pretty fancy, Wayne!

lol
Cadillac!

Yah, I'm not signed up with zuckerberg, either, and it won't let me see the pics...
Does that make me a Luddite? lol

Best
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That bike. I like that bike. Where can I get one like it? Did it come that way, I mean is it stock or did you change something?
SB
Hey SB, That's an $89 Huffy Cranbrook. I bobbed the rear fender. No frame mods at all. I changed the bars and the seat and post. The slider forks with the center spring are from an unknown bike.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What cool gag vent tube, very clever ;-}
Pretty fancy, Wayne!
lol
Cadillac!
Naw, this is an actual Cadillac bicycle motorized shifter build.

I built two of those shifters, a direct drive one (I wanted the NuVinci Hub) and have access to one more in the box.

Anyway, that is one heck of beast you have there Wayne, very creative and we all love creative ;-}

I wish you many happy riding hours on it before the rear hub gives out or the frame breaks when you hit a pothole.
Sadly with an $87 Huffy bike it's not if it will break, it's how soon.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey SB, That's an $89 Huffy Cranbrook. I bobbed the rear fender. No frame mods at all. I changed the bars and the seat and post. The slider forks with the center spring are from an unknown bike.
I was pullin' yer leg, bud. Don't you love it when people think they can just go buy a bike like yours, not understanding you have to build it and there's just one of 'em on the planet.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
[QUOTE
Sadly with an $87 Huffy bike it's not if it will break, it's how soon.[/QUOTE]

Hay KC, Thanks for the compliments.

Not sadly at all about the cheap Huffy! I know to expect problems with such a cheap bike. So I am always giving the hubs and frame very close scrutiny.

I enjoy pioneering it for us to actually see how much one can actualy do with a low cost bike and good mechanical skills. I started this build by first re-packing and truing/tightening the wheels. 200 miles so far, nothings changed. If the frame or any other parts show to be inadequate, they will be dealt with then.
I actualy originaly used this cheap bike for a testbed fot this tranny idea that might not have worked well, and I didn't want to experiment on an expensive bike.

Also, I don't drive fast enough on any unfamiliar road to make potholes much of a hazard. Thanks for the concern though. Calculated risk, like most other sports.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I enjoy pioneering it for us to actually see how much one can actualy do with a low cost bike and good mechanical skills...
I actually originally used this cheap bike for a testbed for this tranny idea that might not have worked well, and I didn't want to experiment on an expensive bike...
Thanks for the concern though. Calculated risk, like most other sports.
(smiles) Yep, calculated risk, I guess I wasn't thinking math when I was younger but my old body reminds me of every miscalculation these days so ya, I may be over protective these days but I can't take another major spill so I'm all about safety these days.

What an opportune time to show the pics of a guy that built his own big 4-stroke motor literally pried (his words) in to a 24" bike and fashioned a jackshaft for it with his welder and what was laying around.

He lives in the neighborhood and I meet him out riding my MB (he was on foot) and he wanted to stop by my shop to see what I do.
He rode his build by to show me his this morning just brimming with pride.

I simply couldn't resist having him put it against my photo wall for a couple of pics.

Here are the big pics as links but even with them you can't fully appreciate what a literal death trap waiting to slap shut this bike is.

Death Trap Left
Death Trap Right

He even doubles down and rides without a helmet, glasses or even a light at night all the time and can go 45 MPH he says.

You are nothing like this guy Wayne I suspect but sure, with the proper skills, a pile of spare junk and a welder you can make something that will go.

I don't want to highjack Wayne's topic with this guys bike, my only point is in my mind there are two ways to motorize a bike.
Build a nice solid pretty bike, or just put stuff on whatever until it goes and damn the torpedo's.

You would really need to see it in person to understand but you get the point.
I just want to urge you to take the high road with a bike choice to start is all ;-}

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
KCvale I just want to urge you to take the high road with a bike choice to start is all ;-}[/QUOTE said:
Than for the urging, but it's quite unnescesery. I explained in my previous post that I didn't want to use a nice bike for this unproven transmission experiment.

The Huffy makes a pretty good cheap test bed. The 12 guage spokes and steel wheels are quite serviceable if they're tweaked and packed first. So far, the steel frame seems up to the task.

Now that I know that this transmission is a viable design, worthy of a rugged and well built bike, I won't be building another on a $89 Cranbrook (that I bought slightly used for $20).

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hear Hear guys! Safety first, for sure, we all want to see more :p

Lovin' the Foosball men pedals, and all the little details. Plus you can always tell people the spark plug is an anti-theft device, if you don't flip a secret switch the tank'll blow :D

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Now that I know that this transmission is a viable design, worthy of a rugged and well built bike, I won't be building another on a $89 Cranbrook (that I bought slightly used for $20).
I can't help but grin from ear to ear to hear that bud ;-}

It's always nice to see someone take an idea to the next level, especially a drive train mod, well done ;-}

I'm sure you know this but for others put a good magnet in your pocket when you go Good Bike shopping.
If that magnet won't stick to the frame you won't be able to MiG arc weld it either.

Don't get me wrong, I love the heavy duty alloys fashioned in super strong tubes like Giant and Felt use, I'm just saying unless you have a TiG welder stick to something a magnet will stick to if you want to do any standard MiG welding on the frame is is all.

Again I know you know this bud, that was for others that read your topic ;-}

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
What every happened to Wayne Z? I was hoping he'd hang around and show us all how to build his variable pulley transmission.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue