What.....the...

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks used even, prolly pre-broken in......if not just broken :D

Another fine joke intended for yet another sucker.....i'll take two of those fine Huffy's rotfl

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
What does a 6 hp engine cost? I was looking at one in that range the best I remember it was about $500.00. Decided it was too much motor

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
more power to him

i think quite a few people would like to make a livelihood out of this motorized bicycle thing but do not quite know how to make it happen

rather than ridicule give it a shot --- see if it satisfies you and
if you can make a go of it??

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Well, if you think about it, retailers usually jack up prices by about 30%. How much does an average Huffy cruiser cost? I dont know, but the cheapest bike I'm aware of, brand new, is Walmart's Next Challenger R at $88. Those motors look stock but hey, whatever you can do to sucker people out of money, hey?

Anyway lets have a look here:
$88 - Next Challenger R
$150 - 66cc HT engine (Type D)
Total = $238 + 30% = $309. People would swarm you like locusts at that price, the stock engine is plenty fast for most people, but lets make it a sweeter deal.
$120 - Arrow reeds
$35 - 19mm Dellorto PHBG clone
$10 - JB Weld crank stuffing and transfer corrections
$25 - Custom exhaust
$35 - Jag clone CDI
~$100 - Hub adapter and chosen sprocket
Free - Engine balance
Free - High rev porting
Free - Head shaving and lapping

Total cost - $563
Total power - Probably 7hp if done properly, maybe more.

+ 30% = $732. But with all that, you could probably get more, considering it'll still have better range and waayyyy more power than any prebuilt electric bike in that price range. But the reason electric bikes arent everywhere? some people just dont like the idea of assisted bicycles, I like to think most simply can't afford it.

So bump the price up to $1000, which is pretty good for a motor with that kind of power. Ditch the hub adapter and go with a 3-speed fixie hub (so you dont have to crank the pedals to start the motor) for $140, then add a shift kit for another $180 for a total of $783 Get a better bike, maybe one with disc brakes, +$112 you're lookin at $5 shy of $900.
$900 + 30% = 1163. There, a decent bike, powerful motor, ease of use, great range and gears, all for the price of some of the cheapest electric bikes out there. Would anyone buy it? probably rare. But for $300, let them swarm.

Related to the post: No, as everyone else here has said, thats way too much, but yet, seems right around what everyone else seems to sell complete bikes for (brand new)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. It's a lot for that particular build. But if I was going to put up with the headaches involved in selling units to customers, many of whom are clueless and somewhat lazy, then I'd want a profit margin that justifies it.

Imagine the customer who keeps coming back with inevitable small troubles and adjustment issues, that he should be able to take care of himself, claiming that you sold him a lemon.

If I built and sold a bike, then I'd want $700 in profit alone. Simply to compensate me for the time and effort it would take to keep these folks happy.

And that's why I don't give much thought to trying to build these bikes for sale. I just don't see a market that would justify the headaches. Or the inevitable liability issues. Even if you make them sign a disclaimer, anyone who suffers any serious injury is likely to tie you up agonizingly in the court system.

If he can get $700 bucks for that bike, then he really is justified. But I wouldn't pay it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I sell them for $400. Usually takes a week or two for the cruisers.
Mountain bikes seem to take longer to sell.

Mahlus

Jun 2, 2013
Phoenix
350-400 seems about the norm for a no frills motorized bicycle.
I only know of one builder who will offer free help to fix or give advice in problems on either a motorized bicycle he sold or not. Most motorized bicycle builders I run into want to charge an hourly fee to fix motorized bicycle regardless if he sold it or not.
I still think 700$+ is a bit much, however you can ask how ever much you want, it is his to sell. I just know when I sell one I'm lucky to get 300-350 for a motorized bicycle.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I will troubleshoot CUSTOMER bikes free up to a point.
Depends on the problem and the cause.
Stupid stuff they did to themselves costs more. I find if they know I won't give them a break on stuff they caused, they tend to take better care of their stuff.