Best Diaphragm Carb ?

GoldenMotor.com

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I've spent a good deal of time building a good functional
DIY rear mounted setup. I've got it just the way I want it
except for what has become a nightmare issue.
Because the engine mounts higher than the tank a gravity
fed carb is not an option. Using several different diaphragm
carbs the system performs great....for a while.
Can anyone out there turn me on to a 'reliable' diaphragm
carb or measure other than a top tank I can't get my leg
over?:-||

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
There are several good diaphram carbs out there, most are used on chainsaws. McCoulloch used Walbro and Tillotson, Homelite used Mikunis and Zumas. Early Tecumseh engines used on snowblowers like Ariens also used a good reliable diaphram carb. I have used them all but like the Mikunis and Tecumseh best. They are readily available and can be had for not much money. My tecumseh carb works equally well on a 2-stroke or 4-stroke of comparable size. Hope this helps.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Well, Scoot,
I've just looked at an awful lot of carbs on ebay which has raised more
questions. I think I want to go with Tecumseh, but I've no idea if what
I'm looking at will fit my application, i.e. an HS 142 F. I don't mind having
to make gaskets if necessary or minor mods for the bolt holes. Given the
specific engine, can you site a specific carb that might fit? A gravity
fed top tank is not really an option, and I've been going thru the
cheap @$$ diaphragm carbs like popcorn.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Well, Otero, I have two of these carbs and they are identical except one is set up for a primer bulb which you will need if you aren't using a gravity fed fuel tank. That carb is #47 411, I'm sure that's an obsolete number. It came off of a 3.5HP Tecumseh 2-stroker, model #THO98SA, or TH139SA, or TH139SP. There are three versions of this same engine, one has a 12 volt electric starter, one has a 115 electric starter, and the third is pull start only. You can cross reference the carbs you are looking at to these engine model numbers. The non-primer bulb carb came off of a 3HP Briggs and Stratton 4-stroke engine on a lawn edger. These carbs don't care if they are hung on a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke, they work great on both!!!!! If you purchase a used one you might want to consider getting a rebuild kit. The diaphrams get hard and crack over time and crud builds up on the innerds, especially now that ethaol is so prevalent. Rebuild kits are cheap and I just installed one in about an hour last week. Good luck.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Well,
That's pretty specific, thx. Ethanol seems to be the bane of my
existence. You'd think by now someone would be using diaphragms
impervious to ethanol.... but then that wouldn't be planned
obsolescence.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
These carbs have such small orifices that any coagulation or varnish is going to clog them. I usually put stabilizer in my premix and my regular gasoline. Then every 6 months or so I put a capfull of gumout in the tank to rinse out the crud out while I'm riding. The engine doesn't run quite as well on that tankfull, but it keeps her going in the long run. The carb I rebuilt last week had been on the shelf for a couple of years. Apparently I left some gas in it when I took it off the snowblower engine and varnish crystals built up on the diaphram itself. I cleaned that then sprayed brake cleaner through the channels using one of those tiny plastic hoses that comes with WD-40, then blew the channels out with compressed air using a basketball inflator needle. She works like new.