'hree' sound accompanied by hopping?

GoldenMotor.com

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
So I got my 36t sprocket on and everything adjusted right. I started it and pulled in the clutch, and put it on the kickstand for pre-ride inspection. When I let the clutch out, it intermittently pops up and forward (just a tiny, tiny bit) while making a 'hree' sort of scraping noise. This engine only has about 15 miles on it.

What could be causing this? Thanks guys

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
It does go, the engine runs and drives fine-- I actually drove it a few hundred feet before I noticed the sound. I'm just worried that running it will damage the engine (or me, or the rest of the bike)

I mean the whole bike frame hops up and forward a little bit when it makes this sound (which only happens when the clutch is out) However, before I rode it any real distance I wanted to watch it run, so I put up the rear kickstand-- the style that completely raises the rear wheel from the ground. When I let the clutch out, it drives the wheel just fine but it occasionally makes a "hree" sound and the whole bike frame rocks forward and up a little bit. The movement is only noticeable when I'm not sitting on it; the sound is what initially concerned me. I think the two are related.

FWIW, it's a really awful sound. Kind of like a 4-stroke without oil-- but I'm running 24:1 for break in. Thanks for the fast reply!

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The hree sound is prolly just the clutch pucks kinda squealing a little upon engagement, normal.
The jumping when your weight isn't on it is prolly the inital torque spike from suddenly transfering inertia to the rear wheel, normal.

These cheap little engines are normaly quite rattely and noisy.

But, It is also pretty common for them to have major problems right out the box. Is there anyone around you that has some small engine or motorbike knowledge that you can show it to?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like it just has a miss, and because you aren't on it and riding it, you notice it. These bikes do make a kind of "hree" sound and that is the gears whining.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like it just has a miss, and because you aren't on it and riding it, you notice it. These bikes do make a kind of "hree" sound and that is the gears whining.
Joe is prolly right about the gear noise. They do make a sound like that. Just a little grease on them occasionly helps a lot with that.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Okay, many thanks! Sounds like it's no big deal. BUT, it didn't make this sound a few days ago with a 44t sprocket. And it does it randomly after I let the clutch out, not just once right as I let it out. I'll throw some grease on it and see how it does then-- maybe tonight. Thanks again =)

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Is your clutch slipping?
I had to tighten mine last night as my bike was feeling a bit 'grabby', it would jolt a bit sometimes, it wasn't serious, it was almost a sub-conscience knowing.
It was also harder to start as the pressure on the plate wasn't sufficient.

PS, put some grease on those gears.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I just switched to a grip-shift for the clutch. Takes up virtually no handlebar space, extremely convenient, and even easier to engage/control than a handle clutch, IMO. When I first put it on, I found that it slipped almost instantly because I pulled the clutch in faster than usual! =) But I have the brass lock set *very* tight right now. No more slips.

And yeah, I'm gonna deep-clean and grease the crap out of it before I ride it again. I have to wait until the end of the week to get a 1/8th half-link so I'll have plenty of time to make it work great =)

Thanks for all the advice guys =) I want to take care of my new baby... =)

PS: Toadmund, I also love beer, from lambics to the bitterest stick-a-fork-in-it-and-it-stays beer =) I was just thinking I wish I could combine my motor-bicycling interests and beer-lovin... too bad we both picked conflicting hobbies, eh? =)