4 stoking when cold

GoldenMotor.com

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
This is the deal.. first thing in the morning when i start my bike up, i usally have to choke it . it fires right up and i let it idle for a minute or two then take off the choke. i rev it it up and let it idle again for a minute. okay so i take off and get out on the main road but when i get up to 3/4 throttle it starts to 4 stroke so i lay off it till i get to the store 5 blocks away. i shut it off for 10 min then start it back up and take off. then ther is no problem . i get on it to wot and its perfect.
could this just be that it needs more time to warm up or maby it needs to go a size smaller on the jetting? The plug color looks nice and chocolty like it should.
Or maby just not mess with it since it runs fine when when it seemingly is fully warmed up?
Thanks for the input..

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
well ,i discovered the problem. i was kinda stumoped. then i remembered a tread i read about if you have a high power cdi that you can go to a larger spark plug gap. i checked the gap on my plug and it was .28 so i opened it to .33 and now no problem.
Its amazing how something so simple can do so much..

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
well ,i discovered the problem. i was kinda stumoped. then i remembered a tread i read about if you have a high power cdi that you can go to a larger spark plug gap. i checked the gap on my plug and it was .28 so i opened it to .33 and now no problem.
Its amazing how something so simple can do so much..
ive only changed the wire itself with a automobile brand and put in a new plug at the same time
and found different gaps gave me different speed and performance
the new plug gapped at around .023 4 stroked bad at slow speeds
where gapping to .050 which was the gap on my stock plug worked fine until I hit alot of hills

so I did alot of short gps speed runs and so far ive stopped at .040 (have not went higher)
I think gap does play a large role in how it runs

why my stock plug at .050 worked so great who knows unless its from the old wire it was running off of