Problem with the bike please help.

GoldenMotor.com

haris11231

Oct 10, 2011
NY
ok hi when i pedal the bike and let go the bike starts but then stops after a few feet.When i put the choke up and then go it goes again for a few feet and then stops and then i put the choke down then the bike runs.I have to do it in this order if i try starting the bike with the choke down in the first place it doesnt go it just stops after a few feet.Thanks

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
ok hi when i pedal the bike and let go the bike starts but then stops after a few feet.When i put the choke up and then go it goes again for a few feet and then stops and then i put the choke down then the bike runs.I have to do it in this order if i try starting the bike with the choke down in the first place it doesnt go it just stops after a few feet.Thanks
Try choking the engine HALF way. The lever in the down position is off, the way the engine is supposed to run. I myself always use either starting fluid or throttle body cleaner to start my engine. My heart (all of 15%) can't take the peddling. My bike starts within the length of my truck. I only have to do this the first start of the day.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The choke needs to be open enough for the motor to draw enough air to start up, in most designs I've seen that's "up" on the lever. (In some conditions that may need to be different). Some need to have the choke wide open (up) for the initial start then closed (down) once the motor catches. On the stock "Carb of C'thulu", I've never had to change the choke after the first few starts unless it's cool and damp that day.
In my case when leaving the house, I start off with the choke lever up, start up, do a U-turn, stop and swing the choke lever down, wait for a few seconds for the motor to sound steady, and go. If it's colder and/or damp I'll wait up to a half minute with the engine idling on the first start of the day before I move the choke completely to let it warm up a little bit before I open up and go.

Last edited:

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
You may be doing what I used to do. If you turn the fuel valve on about 2 minutes before you are ready to go.It will give your bowl time to fill up before you take off. Your carb may also have the little primer button on it. if it does,you can give it a couple of pumps. That will let your carb bowl fill up quicker.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If we're talking about the venerable NT carburetor:
There are a couple of misconceptions in the last two posts:
When the choke lever is in the down position the choke is OFF, or open. Up is ON, or closed.

The so called 'primer' or 'tickler' is a mechanical way to force the float down to keep the needle valve open which will produce a fuel rich condition that sometimes can assist an engine to start. It is not a pump but only holds the float down as long as you hold the button in. Hold it down for more than three or four seconds and you'll probably have a flooded condition that will make starting a cold engine even harder.

Under normal conditions about 1/2 choke is all that is needed to start a properly tuned engine. I personally don't use the choke at all unless the outdoor temperature drops below about 60 degrees. Then only if the engine is dead cold. A warm engine will start easier than a cold one.

Tom