"kindalikeawhizzer"

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's very true that a comfortable position with an appropriate beverage is an absolute must while staring creatively. This fact has been proven many times at bike camp.
Also careful hand movements are a plus while designing any changes.

Another fine build taking form in the north woods. The design studio has taken under advisement the fine items that have been recently placed on the sidecar thread and plans, with patterns, are being worked on and material procurement costs are being looked at as we speak.
We believe that these can be built with funding secured from the Federal Government in the form of Social Security Checks. There will be further consultation with our financial advisers but we hope to be able to proceed in the New Year.

We feel that this build will benefit the general public and motor bike builders everywhere.

Fast Eddy.

Dreamer At Large.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ray,
The Whizzer center stand looks to be well made, but on the expensive side for me. Over $60.00 without shipping makes it the high priced spread. I have one on my American Flyer which is stout and has adjustable legs which was around $35.00 if I remember right. Or I could go with the cast aluminum, non adjustable legs, cut the ends of the legs off and give it copper sheath/ extensions (did that on my Indian Hiawatha) to make the length right... or make a more sturdy drop stand along the lines of Tinsmith's with the keyed drop stand catch he invented. That would dictate a rear fender and I don't know yet if I want fenders or not. Probably do.

The main thing is keeping it from falling over, not so much for starting it. I won't be pedal starting since the engine has a recoil pull start, so it doesn't need to support me while I pedal (if anyone does that). While I'm building I can use the simple copper drop stand. It could be that the perfect donor center stand will appear in my life before the bike is on the road early next summer. Interesting sometimes what appears in the metal pile at the dump. I found a panther frame once (it became my American flyer), and lots of bike parts. Aside from the money issues, it is fun finding, repurposing and remaking.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
fasteddy (Steve),
Keep dreaming, Bud. That's one of the best parts of the build process, I think. At first I just wanted to use some of the great parts I had sitting around (mostly wanting to see that copper gas tank with wheels under it) and having a nimble bike with more power than I have yet experienced on a motor bike. As I thought about it I wanted to also experience a belt drive. The rest is kind of evolving as I go. So far I'm happy with progress and it still fits into the loose idea of being kind of like a whizzer, in my mind anyway.

Initially I was quite certain I did not want this build to have a sidecar, but after seeing recent posts from Chainmaker's thread on his Panther build and his intentions to build a sidecar with flexible mounting I have had second, third and fourth thoughts, now very much leaning toward another sidecar. I already know without asking that you are dreamin & schemin about the 1940's soap box racer plans he has posted on the sidecar thread. Along with the use of a hand truck for the sidecar frame, the simple design for attaching it to the bike frame... well, it is all pretty compelling.

For myself, I think I will make another sidecar body from the other half of the donor Grumman canoe we used for the sidecar in my avatar. It is still light in weight and for where I live in canoe country on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, nothing could be more appropriate or eye catching. Besides, we have already gone down this road and I know how to make it more easily and a little more cleanly the second time around. Having paid $20.00 for the original donor canoe the price is certainly right for the sidecar bodies... $10.00 for each one plus some rivets and a few screws and bolts. Say a total of $20.00 for the sidecar body, $40.00 for the hand truck frame and allow another $40.00 for whatever is needed to make up the attachment hardware. For a hundred bucks that's a deal. You are a wood worker and I know it is a pleasure for you to make sawdust and see wood shavings, so that's the way you should go. With no garage and a picnic table for a workshop this will work for me and I'll be happy. So will the dog. I already have a worksman drum hub, spokes and a 1950's Schwinn rim to make into the sidecar wheel. I'll need to get another tire and tube, so add in another $25.00 or so.

Thank you ahead of time for making up the Jacobsen engine mount. It will be a milestone in the build when the engine is rock solid in the frame.
SB

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That sounds good SB, i come across them now and then, sometimes at a lower price, if i do i'll pick one up and get back with you if thats OK.

Ray

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you, Ray,
I wonder if there is adequate room in the Whizzer stand for a fatter tire. Mine is 26" X 2.4". What do you think? Your efforts to find one at a reasonable price is much appreciated. Used is good, since everything else on the bike other than tires, spokes and sheave are used.

Today's efforts will be on the crank set, handlebars and making a lay back seat post. I have an idea and want to see if it will work
SB.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thank you, Ray,
Your efforts to find one at a reasonable price is much appreciated. Used is good, since everything else on the bike other than tires, spokes and sheave are used.
My Grandad had a bumper sticker on the back of his Chrysler Imperial that simply read " Why buy new when used will do? " He was a firm beliver as I am that if you buy it in good used shape and maintain it it will last as long as a new one and it'll cost you less!
Recycle- Reuse- Repurpose
Rick

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
The stand should be good with your tire, the whizzer NE-R wheel is 26"by 3.0 wide.
By the way i have your chain guard, just need to package and a address, PM me when you can and i'll have it out by next week. it still needs a little TLC.

Ray

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My thought are that somebody has already done the canoe sidecar where you live. Just doesn't seem right to do the same thing over again. As an old war vet told me, the only time to follow in someone Else's foot steps is in a minefield.

The soap box derby car is a natural and if kept light in weight a flexible sidecar frame is very doable. I have a idea of how I would approach the frame and the tilting mechanism. Much as the Flxible company did with the sidecar axle pivoting on a couple of bronze bushings and a rod from the axle to the bike to push and pull the sidecar wheel as the bike leans.

Given that I have sheets of plywood and no use in the immediate future for them I'm thinking that once the tri car is done it will be a good winter project. Where it gets used can be decided later. Nothing like a challenge.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My Grandad had a bumper sticker on the back of his Chrysler Imperial that simply read " Why buy new when used will do? " He was a firm beliver as I am that if you buy it in good used shape and maintain it it will last as long as a new one and it'll cost you less!
Recycle- Reuse- Repurpose
Rick
Your Grandpa was a wise man. My own grandparents (long gone to spirit) lived through the depression and were frugal as a matter of habit. I recall my grandmother having a ball of string and when a new piece came with the wrapping paper from the butcher it got tied on and added to the growing ball. Tin foil was the same. You saved it. Used was just as good often because things were made well and made to last. Hand tools were handed down from generation to generation. I took particular pleasure in using my grandfathers planes and draw knives and in turn handed them down to my sons along with cabinetmaking tools.

By the time you and I were grown up (well, I'm still resisting) planned obsolescence became the norm and "used" was not so good. A good consumer buys new and often. I guess I'm not very "patriotic" that way, not a very good consumer and proud of it. Once upon a time being conservative meant conserving, being frugal in personal economics and in the wealth of the land, in other words, being a good householder and a good steward. Not sure what it means anymore, but that's neither here nor there, I guess. When we start sounding like our grandfathers it must mean that we are the elders now with the responsibility of telling our truth even if no one is listening.
SB

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ray,
Good to know that the Whizzer stand will work with the fat tires. The feet on the legs leave a nice "footprint".

Thank you kindly for the feather chain guard. Looks to be in good shape to me. I had to laugh a bit remembering that I had one just like that and gave it to Tinsmith for his stretch Worksman build. Now in a roundabout way through you it is coming home again. I will PM you with my shipping information. It is my hope that sometime I will be able to return the favor, if not directly to you then to someone else who needs what I have and don't need.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My thought are that somebody has already done the canoe sidecar where you live. Just doesn't seem right to do the same thing over again. As an old war vet told me, the only time to follow in someone Else's foot steps is in a minefield.

The soap box derby car is a natural and if kept light in weight a flexible sidecar frame is very doable. I have a idea of how I would approach the frame and the tilting mechanism. Much as the Flxible company did with the sidecar axle pivoting on a couple of bronze bushings and a rod from the axle to the bike to push and pull the sidecar wheel as the bike leans.

Given that I have sheets of plywood and no use in the immediate future for them I'm thinking that once the tri car is done it will be a good winter project. Where it gets used can be decided later. Nothing like a challenge.

Steve.
I knew that soap box derby racer was spinning wheels in fasteddy's brain. Ha! It certainly does appeal to the "inner child" doesn't it? And it would make a great sidecar body.

So you would use plywood for the derby skin? The 1948 model in our local museum uses fabric which has been painted over a framework with flat 'ribs' to give the body shape.

The flxable framework sounds interesting... so as you lean into a curve a rod leans the sidecar wheel at the same time, is that right? Yes, you do like a challenge, don't you! The frame is of interest no matter what the body is, soap box racer or mini canoe. The frame also needs to easily and quickly detach from the bike frame. .. and be light. And inexpensive, of course.
SB

Pictured below is the 1948 soap box racer in the museum in Ely, MN. Chainmaker found a set of plans for a 1940 (I think it is) racer on ebay and has posted the plans on the sidecar thread. Looks even better than the one in the pictures. I hope he builds it!

Attachments

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray,
Good to know that the Whizzer stand will work with the fat tires. The feet on the legs leave a nice "footprint".

Thank you kindly for the feather chain guard. Looks to be in good shape to me. I had to laugh a bit remembering that I had one just like that and gave it to Tinsmith for his stretch Worksman build. Now in a roundabout way through you it is coming home again. I will PM you with my shipping information. It is my hope that sometime I will be able to return the favor, if not directly to you then to someone else who needs what I have and don't need.
SB
Thank you SB, i feel the same way. this forum is a great place with some great folks too! we should always help one another, weather with parts or knowledge.

Ray

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Silverbear , I'm back from texas (for last time) .the whole trip I was worried I would miss You and Steve rolling thru midwest ... So sorry to hear You all wont be coming ,but totaly understandable, family always comes first! My mom is a huge part of my life and I can only imagine what steve must be going thru . our little comunity of like minds means alot to me so I feel like all You guys are family (in a wierd digital way?)
Looks like I got alot of reading to do to catch up ...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,
I am cruising through the small tractor grills on eBay every day. Makes the derby car easier to build and a tad more exciting as well. Grills are not my personal strong point.
I can see it coming together in the New Year just to make the relentless rain bearable until summer happens once again unless they cancel it.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Fasteddy provided this link to mostly Watsonian British sidecars made for bicycles and pedal power.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...51156542,d.cGE

Thought I'd share it here as well. You want to really set your Whizzer apart from the crowd... give it a sidecar!

These sidecars were flexible mount so that the bike could still lean into curves. Also very light weight sidecars and frames since it was all pedal power at slow speed. Why reinvent the wheel?

Fasteddy, thanks for the link. There are lots of interesting details. While I'm still leaning toward using my donor Grumman canoe half to make the body I might make some major changes from the last one... making it shorter yet (my other was the same length as the Panther frame it was mated to)... narrow it up a bit more and move the seating forward so that behind the seat it could have a boot (trunk) sloping down in a nice curve. The boat shaped Watsonians of the 1930's are what I'm talking about. Maybe even a little windshield and canopy top. That would be a challenge and still be canoe like. (I live in the canoe country of north eastern Minnesota next to the million acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Believe me when I say that my canoe sidecar on the other bike gets a lot of attention!)

Also, I have ordered another Cyclops tire & tube to match those on the kindalikeawhizzer, 26 X 2.4 fatties. It is a declaration of intent to give it a sidecar. This is going to be such a fun build! I think I have reached the point that building is even more fun than the riding. Part of the fun is being able to share ideas and information with you guys.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ray, Received your PM regarding the feather guard and will be watching for it. Thank you again for your generosity.

Prussian,
Next year then. Fasteddy sounds like he plans to be the travelin man next summer, wanting to meet up with you & the shop dogs, Mr. B down in Iowa and whoever else in our migration to the east coast & back. It would be nice if we could co-ordinate with the annual Pennsylvania rally to meet with Jay and the many whizzermen in the area. At our age it may be a kind of last hoorah road trip. He wants to do a run with his son & buddies up in New Hampshire and I'm still dreaming of a run in my part of the world hoping to attract other riders from southern Ontario, Wisconsin and from other parts of Minnesota. It would be the first annual Bear Head Run down the Bearhead Rd. from where I live a few miles from Bearhead State Park. The only guy I really road with was Tinsmith in Maryland and what a lot of fun that was. I miss it, Dan, if you're reading this thread.
SB

Last edited:

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Fasteddy provided this link to mostly Watsonian British sidecars made for bicycles and pedal power.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...51156542,d.cGE

Thought I'd share it here as well. You want to really set your Whizzer apart from the crowd... give it a sidecar!

These sidecars were flexible mount so that the bike could still lean into curves. Also very light weight sidecars and frames since it was all pedal power at slow speed. Why reinvent the wheel?

Fasteddy, thanks for the link. There are lots of interesting details. While I'm still leaning toward using my donor Grumman canoe half to make the body I might make some major changes from the last one... making it shorter yet (my other was the same length as the Panther frame it was mated to)... narrow it up a bit more and move the seating forward so that behind the seat it could have a boot (trunk) sloping down in a nice curve. The boat shaped Watsonians of the 1930's are what I'm talking about. Maybe even a little windshield and canopy top. That would be a challenge and still be canoe like. (I live in the canoe country of north eastern Minnesota next to the million acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Believe me when I say that my canoe sidecar on the other bike gets a lot of attention!)

Also, I have ordered another Cyclops tire & tube to match those on the kindalikeawhizzer, 26 X 2.4 fatties. It is a declaration of intent to give it a sidecar. This is going to be such a fun build! I think I have reached the point that building is even more fun than the riding. Part of the fun is being able to share ideas and information with you guys.
SB
SB
REALLY Cool!!! I like the look!
Thank you thank you!
Bob