'The Beast' Scooterized

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nice beastly build as usual Low........here's the trail ripper that you mentioned earlier......

They go pretty well with the CY 46cc engine but they are not cheap.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Scotto,
Yeah I've priced them & they are silly priced (over 1K).
I may go with fatter tires (possibly knobs) but for right now its good to go.
I finished up the floor board this morning & ordered some new ACS Crossfire freewheels.
After having experimented with two different ranges of gearing (front different than rear), I decided to make both geared for 40 mph & run both engine throttles all the time.
Having them geared a little tall for high speed will still give real good acceleration since two engines are pulling the load.
So far the ride has been great with no mechanical issues whatsoever.
Like riding on a magic carpet only standing...lol
-lowracer-

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto,
Yeah I've priced them & they are silly priced (over 1K).
I may go with fatter tires (possibly knobs) but for right now its good to go.
I finished up the floor board this morning & ordered some new ACS Crossfire freewheels.
After having experimented with two different ranges of gearing (front different than rear), I decided to make both geared for 40 mph & run both engine throttles all the time.
Having them geared a little tall for high speed will still give real good acceleration since two engines are pulling the load.
So far the ride has been great with no mechanical issues whatsoever.
Like riding on a magic carpet only standing...lol
-lowracer-
Those Carlisle knobbies that come standard on the trail ripper are quite a bit bigger than any other tire that you'll find of similar size, they don't even come close to fitting on the back of a BladeZ scooter. The knobs are very tall and the overall width is very wide. They used to cost $15, don't know how much they are now?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I swapped rear wheels with my other scooter so that both would be matching aluminum rims (rear was steel) & changed the rear freewheel gearing from 18T to 16T.
The front freewheel should arrive early this week & will change from 27T to 18T.
(The rear engine sprocket is 10T & the front is 12T).
This will get 40mph using both engines thoughout the speed range.
I still need to brace the transmissions at a third mounting point & that's about it.
Here are the latest pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks Giz.
I rode it again today but with the front still at 12T/27t. I'm really looking forward to the new 18T freewheel arrival. I tried sitting, but the steering becomes very light at speed.
I really didnt build it to sit, but the seat makes it look more like the bike it once was & doubles as a nice handle when needing to lift it up onto its milk crate parking spot in the garage.
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Hey lowracer, I'm thinking about trying out a 49cc four stroke and was wondering what you thought about their performance. With a shift kit would one be good for cruising about 35-40 mph on a pedal bike?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I know that my 49cc 4 stroke does 30mph in a single speed setup,with no mods or even a valve adjustment. I would think 35 would be easy with a shift kit. Hopefully,I'm thinking about doing something similar.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for one, supposedly theres an overbore HS49 that's supposed to make a solid 2 hp. I would like to make one bike that has a mellow character to it for long rides. A four stroke with a long silencer on it and a shift kit might be the ticket.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah its a GHX50 clone like the HuaSheng 49cc, they all sell for around $200 engine only. The entry cost for it has been a deterrent for me so far, might do one in the future though. I'm trying to figure out which combinations I want to try for a change in the future and a quiet putt bike with some gears would be a nice change.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I said the Titan cuz its supposed to make 3hp. There's a guy in the swap & shop selling a 4 stroke kit and a 4 stroke shift kit plus some more goodies,for $500. Also has a poo poo pipe in the deal. I was trying to get it but the funds aren't adding up. Go for 16v!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16V,
The 49cc 4 strokes are nice & could easily cruise at 35-40 mph with correct gearing. At speeds over 35 mph, I'd opt for a full suspension downhill bike with a triple crown fork. Wimpy bikes are unsafe in my opinion at speeds past 35.
I've gone both 2 stroke & 4 stroke on my bikes & prefer the two strokes.
Mixing fuel is a pain, but I like the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke.
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Hahaha tell me about it, riding the bmx downhill fast it definitely beats you up! I might put a Marzocchi fork and a disc front wheel I have sitting on it if my wrists get chronic. Rear suspension helps too since I was using rear pegs and my knees were taking all the shocks. Its so easy to keep putting things on a bike though so I'll prolly keep this as my simple BMX.

I wanna make something real mellow with a four stroke, and if I can afford one I think I'm going to use a ghx50 clone. I'm tempted to use the bigger predator engines, but like you said about power to weight ratio, might still use a predator if the frame allows it. There are a lot of neat transmissions that work with the lil four strokes, you really have every choice in drivetrain type, from chainboxes to gearboxes to cvt's to right angle drive.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
While checking out eBay last night, I noticed this sweet Tanaka TC 47 (not the R) for cheap & had to bid. I ended up winning it & may need to come up with a new project to put this on (or do engine swaps).
Right now I have 3 Tanakas (32, 47, 47r) & 2 Mitsubishi 43cc engines.
I may put the dual 47 Tanakas onto 'The Beast Scooter' just to see how they perform.
I'm sure they'll smoke the dual Mitsubishis...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Would you believe the Seller of that Tanaka TC 47 went & refunded me $15 for overpayment of shipping charges...Hope it runs...lol
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You always score the best deals on JDM engines, I can never find these things lol. I've had good luck with my auger which I guess is a Mitsubishi 52 clone. You might be able to use the overboar 71 kits to refurb yours if they ever wear out, bet they'd belt out torque that way!