Worn Clutch arm cam shaft

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Is it normal to have a clutch cam shaft to wear on the edge like this after a few hundred miles. Yes, the design seems bad with the sharp edged clutch shaft being moved by the clutch cam. If one cuts the sharp edge off the clutch shaft help? Grease more often? Not an expensive part and its easy to replace but I haven't heard of this being a common problem.
see pict. its the edge that's beveled that cause bad clutch disengagement

Attachments

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
as far as im aware, it IS a common problem. ive gone thru dozens of them. to start with was because i didnt know what i was doing, then some are also due to weak metals.

yes grease would help. but also DONT pull it to max all the time, only pull it so the clutch disengages. also set your pre-load a little lighter, you wont have to pull as hard to move the clutch.
not sure what you mean by cutting the sharp edge off......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Zip,
I do a modification to all of those clutch actuating parts that will reduce/eliminate the problem.

First using a sanding disc on my Dremel I round off the sharp edge on the cam. Just slightly, enough to take the roughness off then I polish the cam on my bench buffer so that edge looks like chrome. I then do the same to the contacting surface of the bucking bar. I slightly 'dome' the end where it makes contact with the cam and also polish it.
Lubricate with a good quality grease, not oil, not WD-40 but bearing grease.

I think if you try this you'll be pleased with the reduction in clutch lever pull as well as eliminating the wear you're seeing on the cam

Good luck.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All these replies are good advice.
Only thing I would add is sometimes the steel is just so poor this happens anyway. Replace if needed.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
as far as im aware, it IS a common problem. ive gone thru dozens of them. to start with was because i didnt know what i was doing, then some are also due to weak metals.

yes grease would help. but also DONT pull it to max all the time, only pull it so the clutch disengages. also set your pre-load a little lighter, you wont have to pull as hard to move the clutch.
not sure what you mean by cutting the sharp edge off......
Legwon, Sorry for the slow response, I was referring to the edges of the smooth pin that goes in front of the ball bearing, if that makes sense.
its razor sharp at the edges. We made new ones yesterday out of 5/16" grade 8 bolts as those were getting the round sinking divots in the end fast and started to mushroomed out as well, so basically the pin was getting shorter in length and the Cam was getting worn at the edge from the pin being so sharp. Polished the heck out of new ones we made and rounded the very edge of the new pins. Also sanded and polished the new clutch cam and hopefully this will solve the problem for awhile?? Used lots of good sticky grease on the shafts and shaft ends. Adjusted clutch using Norms slick info. Thanks guys for all the advice here!

I forgot to comment on not pulling the clutch in more than one needs to... good advice Legwon
on these soft cams and pins. Makes sense/

Last edited: