Specialized DIY Shifter/Scooterguy

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
What is a bad casting? The engine runs fine after about 3-4 minutes. It is just the initial start up until about 3-4 minutes into the ride it feels like it is gasping for air. Do you think it might be the oil I'm using? I bought it on sale. It is Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-30 Part Synthetic. Again the engine is a Honda GX35. Thanks

dchevygod

May 23, 2014
Colorado springs
I mean that a minor twist or flaw in the case or more likely the head area that when warm expands so it seals better thus better power. Or the valves are dry and after running for a few minutes the oil reaches them? Again I'm shooting in the dark your description is kinda vague.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Just got back from the store on my ride. The Honda now seems to be running fine with no problems. Top speed is 26mph in the lowest gear. I don't switch gears on this ride. I'm leaving this project now as completed. Next project is going to be a GEBE with a Tanaka 40 on it.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
You wouldn't happen to remember where you got the pocket bike transmission? I'm finding lots of them for between $60 and $150 the problem is a lot of the sites are terrible about listing the reduction ratio. and I want to be sure I get one that I know will work with my little Honda 35 gx.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Ohh wow that's a little guy! I mean DAMN!! Its bitty and waaaay less than I was going to spend. This little guy will fit my Honda? What kind of reliability does it have? I'm guessing even if its not reliable its pretty easy to fix.... you can only fit so much in such a tiny case.

Last edited:

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Mmm all I have is 415h chain, do you think if I order this sprocket it will work. I know #41 chain and 415H are pretty similar but will the 415 work on a sprocket that's meant for a #41? The largest internal measurement on both sprockets is the same so it should work with the transmission right?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
What transmission are you going to use? The CVT or the 5:1 pocket bike tranny? What sprocket are you planning on using for the wheel? Are you going to use a rag joint to mount it?

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
I ordered the 5:1 transmission that you linked me to, I have 2 wheel sprockets. A 44 tooth and a 36 tooth, I was planing on using the 44 tooth with a rag joint and see how that goes.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I'm not sure about your question about the chain drive sprocket because I used #410 BMX chain on my build. You might wanna start your own build thread in the Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information section and you can get better advice than I can give since our builds are different.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
BL

The 5:1 rato gearbox is reverse direction rotation. Therefore it needs to be right hand drive. They are tuff little units using HD gear "oil", not grease.

Did do 2 builds with the scooter cvt trannys, they have a gear reduction in the bottom shaft , it is also reverse rotation. My cvt`s worked well stock with no spring etc mods.

Other builders had trouble with the cvt's after much use. Did not put many miles on my cvt's. Don`t think I would recommend cvt for constant daily needed transportation.
The 2 cvt builds are in the garage, not rode since 2009, one is 49cc 4 stroke Honda clone and one is 49cc horizontal cag engine with 52cc kit, sounds a lot meaner than stock cag.

Albula

Thanks for the good words on my shifter build using the 5:1 reverse rotation tranny on the top bar. Think my build was in 2009. My Favorite bike of all at present.

Bought my motor mount plate from sheet metal shops cut off pile. 1/4" thickness for $10. or less. Buy the "hard alum" if possible, they should have both. The hardened aluminum can not be bent, it will break but is much nicer when drilling 1 3/8" hole for tranny. The soft alum is drillable with hole saw but more messy.

Mounted my tranny position on 49cc 4 stroke Honda clone motor so it would fit as far forward in frame V as possible. The oil fill plug can be on side, only fill it 1/2 . Breather vent may need to be on top though.

Drilled motor mount plate and mounted tranny then slide it as far forward as possible in frame then marked it for the tube clamps. Slotted the bolt holes in the motor mount plate for bottom tube clamp for chain adjustment, but spring tensioner should be used.

Had to put a 90 degree 1/2" copper elbow on exhaust after my leg complained about the hot exhaust.

Would recommend 8mm scooter chain and sprockets from tranny to pedals, many ratio's available and much cheaper. The bigger 8mm sprockets bolt up to the standard freewheel adapters, with both right and left hand threads. Have 8mm chain and sprockets on both cvt bikes, strong chain. Sprockets for $10 each.

Then you could gear your 35cc to use the gears and get better fuel mileage and more smiles per miles.

There should be posts of my shifter, maybe a thread also.

Ron

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
LOL Neat Times, wish I had seen your post about the tranny reversal. I think the notification got buried in my inbox, I just got everything mounted a couple of days ago and was very disappointed to discover that my wheel and therefor peddles were going the wrong way. I don't have words to describe how disappointed I was, now I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the whole thing with out spending $200. But I think I'm just boned.

So assuming I have no choice but to spend money to fix this is there a decent tranny I can get to work with this shift kit http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=110 and my honda that wont die everyother week

Last edited: