58s Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I couldn't get the two bolt/stud holes to drill all of the way through. Is it possible I hardened the steel that the flange is being made out of?

I know I asked this in the other thread so please forgive. hahaha

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Go through it with a smaller bit first. Then increase bit size untill you get the diameter you need. Works for me every time. Also, try a block of wood behind it to support the drilling surface, It'll let it punch through easier. And alway's use oil, even 30weight is better than nothing.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Go through it with a smaller bit first. Then increase bit size untill you get the diameter you need. Works for me every time. Also, try a block of wood behind it to support the drilling surface, It'll let it punch through easier. And alway's use oil, even 30weight is better than nothing.
fatdaddy.
Ok, I will try that out.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
When I first started building things a LONG, LONG time ago, I didn't realize that just a simple thing like drilling a stupid hole was such an art form. There are usually little tricks to make almost anything a little easier. And if there's an easier way to do something, I'll find it.(Did I ever tell ya I'm a lazy S.O.B?)
fatdaddy.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
When I first started building things a LONG, LONG time ago, I didn't realize that just a simple thing like drilling a stupid hole was such an art form. There are usually little tricks to make almost anything a little easier. And if there's an easier way to do something, I'll find it.(Did I ever tell ya I'm a lazy S.O.B?)
fatdaddy.
I think as a race we are all lazy at times... hahaha

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes not only do it in stagese ,but the queality of bits are not the same. Not to mention the steel now days can have kinds of bits in it from hard carbin to realy soft. Although you should have trouble with the cut down washer it could be in them bigger ones..........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep if you look close at drill bits you will see the even the co.that make have different grades. In most caseses a good high speed bit will do the job,with the better one have a double angle sharpend end. Sort of like the old saying you get what you pay for.........Curt