go kart chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

[email protected]

Jun 20, 2013
north america
Hey I have a go kart and the chain keeps falling off. the sprocket is really close to the ground. I wanted to know if you guys had any ideas to help keep the chain from falling off, from past experiences with motorized bicycles. Thanks ahead of time.:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Re: chain problems

make sure the engine is bolted down tight and straight. Usually karts have short chains so it should be easy to sight and get it right.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I tried what you said, it works for a little bit but in the end the chain still falls off. any more ideas?
Is the chain derailing from the sprockets or coming apart at the master link?
You said, "the end of the chain falls off". What does that mean?

Sprocket alignment and chain tension must be right or any roller chain will give you problems. Lay a straight edge against the sprockets. If they don't line up perfectly, do what needs to be done to make them align.
Also adjust the chain tension. Too tight or too loose will give you problems.

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When you bolted the engine to the frame, did you use loctite or lock washers on the fasteners? A properly tensioned and aligned chain should not be falling off. If you re-tensioned the chain and it came off, then its either not aligned or its not staying tensioned. Its possible that the engine fasteners are coming loose and the engine is torquing around, messing with the chain tension and alignment.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it bends sideways more than a few inches when you remove it, it needs replaced.
It should not make a half-circle, only a gentle bend.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Lay it on a table as if it were on a sprocket, then bend sideways. If the chain can be bent more than 1" in a foot of length or so, it is showing wear. Yours could be worn enough to allow it to "roll" off the sprocket under load. Bending is one way to easily check.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Also check for any links that bind. Pull the chain over your finger and watch to see that each link rolls over it smoothly. If there is a bind or kink you'll quickly see it.

I still think your sprocket alignment is off. How are you checking it?

Tom

[email protected]

Jun 20, 2013
north america
I'll do that but I just ordered a brand new chain. Is it normal for a centrifugal clutch to be able to slide back and forth if its not maybe thats whats throwing my chain off. I am just eye-balling it. what other way do you check it?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If the clutch slides back and forth on the engine shaft,
yes that will cause chain issues.
Now it sounds like a worn out drivetrain. I'd consider replacing both sprockets and the chain.
By the time the clutch is this badly worn, everything else is likely worn out too.

By the way, here is what I mean by worn out chain. See how far it bends?

This chain is junk
(brand new kit chain...sad)

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The clutch should not slide around on the shaft. You have something wrong or broken, or possibly the wrong size clutch?
I'd be looking at the entire drive line until you figure out the issue.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the clutch is moving, misaligning the sprockets/chain then you've found the problem. Whatever it takes you must secure the clutch so it doesn't move. The drive and driven sprockets must stay aligned. Any deviation will cause the problem you're having.

Tom