Engine won't start

GoldenMotor.com

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Well my bike was running great put it in the garage for the night and pulled it out the next day and couldn't get it to start. It doesn't even combust one or two times like it usually does when there's a problem. Ive checked the spark plug and its fine. Cleaned the carb and checked for a blockage. I'm new to all this so I don't know much.. The engine won't fire at all when I try to start it, maybe one of you can help. Thanks

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you have a spark & the plug is wet, then I'd suspect that the fuel leaked into the engine overnight and filled the cases - try cranking the engine a LOT with the spark plug out to clear it

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
if you have a spark & the plug is wet, then I'd suspect that the fuel leaked into the engine overnight and filled the cases - try cranking the engine a LOT with the spark plug out to clear it
What do u mean by crank the engine? Pedal with the clutch out?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take out the plug & pedal till the motor stops blowing out fuel (don't hold the clutch & don't turn the petcock on)

unknown03

Aug 8, 2013
USA
Try to tighten the Idle Screw first.

If that doesnt work then you could try tightening the flower nut a bit and adjust the clutch.

Thats what i did when i couldnt start my bicycle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

If that doesnt work then you could try tightening the flower nut a bit and adjust the clutch.

Do Not start playing with the "flower nut" until you have a thorough understaning of the clutch and how it works!

Do as Maniac57 suggested in post #9. The engine needs three things to run. Fuel, air and a ignition. Confirm those three and get back to us with your findings.

Tom

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA

Tried both of those things earlier and still ended up with the same problem.

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Do Not start playing with the "flower nut" until you have a thorough understaning of the clutch and how it works!

Do as Maniac57 suggested in post #9. The engine needs three things to run. Fuel, air and a ignition. Confirm those three and get back to us with your findings.

Tom
I have all three of those things and they are working

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Got all three and they at working..
Tell us how you confirmed that you have fuel, air and ignition. Those are the three necessary ingredients for combustion. If you indeed have those the engine will run.

How did you confirm each of the three? Please explain in detail.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
had a guy last week, bought a used bike somewhere & got two CDI units with it, both sparked but neither would start the motor - tried a known good CDI & it fired right up

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Do a search for "bad magnet keyways" and check to see if your kit has the incorrect magnet keyway. Could be out of time even though it sparks.

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Tell us how you confirmed that you have fuel, air and ignition. Those are the three necessary ingredients for combustion. If you indeed have those the engine will run.

How did you confirm each of the three? Please explain in detail.

Tom
I took my plug out and put it to the engine and ran with the bike and can clearly see a spark.
When I take the plug out its wet so I dried it put back in and wet again also fuel drips out of the muffler.
I believe im getting air because theres compression when I move the bike forward with the clutch out.

Please correct me if im wrong as im a newbie. Thanks!

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Go back to basics.
Air, spark, fuel.
I took my plug out and put it to the engine and ran with the bike and can clearly see a spark.
When I take the plug out its wet so I dried it put back in and wet again also fuel drips out of the muffler.
I believe im getting air because theres compression when I move the bike forward with the clutch out.

Please correct me if im wrong as im a newbie. Thanks!

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
had a guy last week, bought a used bike somewhere & got two CDI units with it, both sparked but neither would start the motor - tried a known good CDI & it fired right up
its just weird because my motor was running great then the next day it just wouldn't start. Could this happen overnight?