Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
if your not a professional, dont experiment too much. it might seem like it will work, and maybe it worked for someone else, but its better safe than sorry. it was in my case anyway.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey, "captain easy" (and everyone else,) to keep the screw on the bottom of your muffler from loosening up, make sure it's tight with a screwdriver, then grab a pair of vice grips, grab that screw and give it another crank.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Yo, I want to thank previous contributor for taking the initiative and looking up my" frame make" by the funny looking bottom bar in it, as well as the dropouts
" Huffman" It is now so obvious, but he has the knack for seeing it first
I can truthfully say the tips, the experience, and the generosity of the subscribers here have released to me a million dollars worth of education in one weeks time... I need not explore to get more! it is all here in tips and tricks documented and photographed scanned or somehow incorporated into a attachment. the ingenuity and artistic expression combined with hard facts and expensive tools have enabled viewers world wide to get to the point!! of riding a fun set of wheels
I am journal'ing my build up that I fell upon, figured out, and have right here on my dresser next to me motor and all I can read and then work on it all day. I call it a "Armchair Adventure"
I have only bought two wrong headsets during my shop for parts portion of this adventure on the internet.. I know now the" lowriders" have the one I need these heavy duty springer's that are 1 1/8 steer tube require a `"1 1/8 headset" and incorporate into that the ancient 1 1/4 opening it will be few who do. metric sizing is beyond my comprehension and won't fit anyway.I could have saved 15 bucks if I had known that and I could have my forks on right my gooseneck and all. Oh well that's my tip

Last edited:

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
I found the old cap on the street by back-tracking, a little mashed. I heated it with the torch and re-shaped it; fabed and brazed a cap and outlet onto the stock muffler outlet , with with 1/2 inch male ppe thread, and added a muffler from a large portable gas generator to act essentially as a resonator. Also fabed a bracket/hanger for the second muffler attached to the frame to keep extra stress off of the exhaust pipe. Haven't ridden much, mut noticably quieter, and seems only to have lost a very little power, but will know better after more miles and tests on some steep hills. If it still has enough torque, I really like the extra quiet.

BAIRDCO: Thanks for the tip. Mine was held with 6mm nut on a bolt-stud. If I had it to do over, I'd take the vice grips and jam those threads just below the tightened nut, so the vibes would not unscrew it!

mikeintx

Oct 24, 2009
Texas
Heres one from my old bmx racing days. When installing handgrips, spray handlebar and inside of grip with any brand of extra hold aerosol hairspray. It's slimy and slippery while wet, allowing you to slide the grips on. Then when it dries it is sticky, holding them in place.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Part of my first build I split with my second build was a nice set of Harley mirrors from the flea market for $15. I found out you can screw a motorcycle mirror thru the brake lever taking out the hex bolt and nut that clamps it in place...it takes a bit of work but it fits great. It makes for a much better mirror than the cheap mirrors they sell in most bike supply sources. I also like the tip a vendor gave us to use a brake lever for throdle control while his customer waited for a missing part to be shipped...one less thing on the handlebar as I don't use the kill switch.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Thanks bikeguy, I was tempted to just "think the best" and fire it up unchecked. Seems like the plug and wire change are pretty much required. Thanks for the experience!!

Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
OK, OK... I posted to an old thread, didn't realize, stick a spoke in my eye! HOWEVER, it was still good info. I'm reading many of the messages for education. I can still claim "Hey I'm New"
Bare with me

Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Roger that, no offense taken. I realize ya got to have a sense of humor to build these MB's. I can take apart a 767 AND put it back together, I'm still scratchin my head with some of the engineering on these things!!
Gotta love it!
Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
The octane rating on the pump is hardly accurate. Industry calls it "Average", it is basically the detonation point that a test group of engines detonate at. Aviation and race fuel are measured in true octane or the ability of a fuel not to ignite prematurely. For the 2 stroke engines(most) I concur that regular fuel is fine. Compression is not anywhere near high enough unless you have sharp edges in the combustion chamber(there is another thread on this somewhere)
Enough outta me.
Mac

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
brakes. alot of people use walmart bikes for these kits and the s****y v brakes arent up to par a good way to fix this is to use go-ped hardtire brakes they are better than most high quality disk breaks.