Pull Cord Handle, home-made, working prototype

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
In my quest to remove as much plastic as possible...

I reclaim lumber for a living, and recently came across some old growth redwood that was milled around the 1940's. I'd been kicking around the idea of carving myself a new handle, and this seemed the right time.
Last trip to the hardware store I picked up a pine construction stake for a few cents. This is basically what I saw in my head, so after about three hours total work-time, it now is.

Any opinions/ ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
That looks very cool! NICE work. That doesnt look like redwood, Is this just the practice piece for pine? If so Cant wait to see the finished bit. Errr. 13 months of snow?

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, that turned out very nice Trey, I like working with wood myself......exotic woods from all over.

OOOOnnnnneeeeeee ttttthhhiiinnnn hhhoooowwwwwwweeeeeevvvveeeeerrrrr

Let me try this again.....from the top.......

One thing however, when it comes to pull starters I am definitely a minimalist as I like really small ones. The reason for this is I don't like them interfering with my leg while pedaling. Another reason is if the engine kicks back while pull starting it, it only rips two of my fingers off, instead of four! :D Plus I like the way they look when made small out of billet aluminum like those used on GoPeds.

Just mi dos centavos

dnut

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Well, since Scotto sucked all the fun out of my original design with his relentless hold on reality, I've started over. LOL Naw, Scott, the second time I pulled it, it snatched the corner outta my elbow!
Even though I like the looks of the first one, this is more practical- maybe even a little grip tape...

Velodrome- Yeah, just tryin' out the shape before I use the redwood. And thanks for the compliments fellas.

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Finally got around to the redwood. Adjusted the size and shape.
This is hand sanded with six clear coats, and I can't make up my mind. Although I like the color, it's not what I expected. I'll finish one with paste wax, and one with oil, and see how they work out.
(down to two hours production time:))

Attachments