A letter from Don Grube about Skyhawk

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My concerns about 2013 Grube Skyhawk 2-stroke engines from the YD factory being imported into the US by China Gas have been addressed.

I e-mailed Don's wife Angle about it (she runs ChinaGas) and she forwarded it on to Don Grube.
This is a copy/paste of the e-mail exchange from Don to me.

---
Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Subject: Skyhawk to the USA and alternative to Mexico post
To: [email protected]

Hi Angel,

I hope you and Don are doing well.
We talked back in early 2010 before the US 2010 EPA regulations took effect concerning continued delivery of Skyhawk engine kits to the USA and being a long time volume buyer of the 2-stroke kits I am concerned with the sudden 40% price hikes and shortage of engines and not seeing engines labeled later than 11-2012.

Have the 2013 EPA rules changed your status?
Is the YD factory still making 2-stroke engines with a 2013 model?

Can you ship 2-stroke Skyhawk engine kits to a western Mexico port?
If so what is required volume and price per unit cost?

Sincere Thanks,

KC Vale
KC’s Kruisers http://KCsBIkes.com
Phoenix, AZ 85021
USA
602 547-2008
[email protected]
---
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 06:36:27 +0800
Subject: Fwd: Skyhawk to the USA and alternative to Mexico post
To: [email protected]

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Public Notice; Skyhawk Down!!!!!

No shipments of 2013 model Skyhawk Gt5A 66cc or 48cc Gt2A engines have been shipped to the USA due to NationWide Access, ( dba: GasBike ), inability to get their 2012 EPA COC for 40CFR-1051 renewed to 2013 status by EPA Compliance Dept. in Ann Arbor Mi.

FYI: We do have one container load of 1200 SkyHawk engines left in factory stock made Dec. 2012 last year that can yet be shipped to the USA if done before Dec 31 this year per EPA official ruling. Nader Binafard at GasBike is trying to sell this last container load to any USA customer that can afford to buy the whole container load on a drop ship basis direct from China. If you have a 100K capital venture call Nader at 310 890-3473. You could be looking at collector value in a year or so.

This is not official but It does appear that GASBIKE will not be remaining in the 2 cycle motorized bike business unless EPA changes their mind about letting us export our engines to the USA like we were able to do in 2012 and prior.

This is official: Don Grube with China GAS / YuanDong Skyhawk will be in a special meeting with top EPA officials on Nov 15th in Ann Arbor MI. Any e-mail support you can give him to plead his case would be appreciated. Anyone in the motorized bike industry wishing to travel to Ann Arbor is also welcome to accompany the mission. Of course all this hinges on if the US Gov. goes back to work. e-mail to: [email protected]

Presently many 2 cycle 66cc engine kits are being smuggled into the US by CDH from China by falsifying Gov. records by calling bicycle engine kits lawnmower repair parts. However; if inspected by US Customs and identified as bicycle gas engine kits heavy fines result plus confiscation of goods. Falsify US Gov records is a criminal offense let alone not having any EPA emission certification. Yes! in deed this has happened to several folks already who have wrote to us telling us they have lost their shipment to US Customs confiscation. Unfortunately; the Chinese don't care as they get their money up front before shipment and let the US importer on record hold the bag while they go silent. It also appears JiaLi, WoodPecker and Flying Horse are doing the same thing. TIC > this is China. Don't get caught in this China trap unless you like to play Russian roulette.

China GAS is the only Chinese export company in China refusing to compromise breaking any US laws.

2013 > Cheers from ChinaGAS www.grubeeinc.com
Don and Angel Grube;
Life in China is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is!
----

So there you have it, straight from the horses mouth.

I talked with Nadar today, the 1200 12/2012 kits are $99 each but there are other fees so not really practical and why I assume Nationwide is not buying the cargo container but he assures me the 'motor parts in a box' will remain in ample supply and as I have mentioned in other topics I like 'em.

Do state your voice in an e-mail to them above if you like these engines and would like to see them legal in the US again.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Curious: what is the legal status of 'motor parts in a box'? Can engines be imported/sold this way to avoid customs problems? Personally I'd prefer my engines delivered unassembled anyway; saves me a step.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Curious: what is the legal status of 'motor parts in a box'? Can engines be imported/sold this way to avoid customs problems? Personally I'd prefer my engines delivered unassembled anyway; saves me a step.
AFter this first one same here but I don't know legal stuff for this, I am just just guessing logically right now on the 'parts kit' thing.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This is one small example of why I will stick to building 4-strokes. Have fun with your pursuit.
I am having fun Scotto and I am an equal opportunity power plant builder, I got a paid order for another Big Red 4-stroke shifter in today but it will have a front telescope fork.

I really like that 49cc 4-stroke setup, and got another guy that wants one of these 4 person Surry pedi-cars motorized with an electric.

And I have an awesome electric 2-wheel shifter build on deck so it's not like all I do is 2-strokes but they have their place and it's kind of nice to know what's going on ya know?

Sizzle McBackfat

Mar 23, 2018
Detroit, Michigan
As of now it's 2018 and I haven't heard of Grubee unless your on eBay and willing to pay top $$$ almost 300 for a 49cc...
Have they still not been able to compromise?
If not...I live in metro Detroit...about an hour drive from ann arbor & used to spend my summers there as a kid !
What can I do to jump start this and help reiterate how good these motors are....!?!?

I mean, if you have ever been to a major college campus city you can plainly see it's full of traffic be it on foot, bike, skate board, Rollerblades or bus....
I have seen a many moto bikes on UofM campus and if they say it's because noise or on sidewalk riding that's bull because they have bike lanes and slow lanes too...
This is one of the best colleges in the world and most diverse, but they won't let this go???

CrazyDan

Apr 9, 2018
Yucaipa, CA
As of now it's 2018 and I haven't heard of Grubee unless your on eBay and willing to pay top $$$ almost 300 for a 49cc...
Have they still not been able to compromise?
If not...I live in metro Detroit...about an hour drive from ann arbor & used to spend my summers there as a kid !
What can I do to jump start this and help reiterate how good these motors are....!?!?

I mean, if you have ever been to a major college campus city you can plainly see it's full of traffic be it on foot, bike, skate board, Rollerblades or bus....
I have seen a many moto bikes on UofM campus and if they say it's because noise or on sidewalk riding that's bull because they have bike lanes and slow lanes too...
This is one of the best colleges in the world and most diverse, but they won't let this go???
Been living under a rock? https://www.grubee.net/collections/skyhawk-2-cycle-all/products/gt2a-es

Dave420

Apr 22, 2011
im looking for a 48cc to make barney fife happy..not much luck finding a new one