Genesis Onyx Boardtracker Build

GoldenMotor.com

nate25tenn

Feb 17, 2013
Tennessee
Hey guys slowly but surely this bike is coming along nicely. I've managed to lost the sprocket and rag clamp otherwise it's ready to start. This is my first build and it's turned out better than I can imagine. Still has a few kinks to sort out notably the choke, clutch, sprocket, and mounting the tank. Heres the pictures though. I doubt anyone will be able to tell it's a Genesis.

Here is my starting point:

The oversize tubes ended up being a pain to mount the engine but luckily I ordered the universal mounting kit that didn't require drilling into the frame.

Then I purchased a 26" springer front end. I had to modify it to clear the 29" wheel. I can no longer run the fender but it's totally transformed the bike. I'm 5' 4" so this 29er was too tall for me so I chopped the seat posted and welded on another one further back for my springer seat.

It's very uncomfortable but looks badass in my opinion. Here is some pictures of mocking up the springer front end. I ended up having to buy new bearings and a new stem. The Genesis has 1 1/8th everything and the springer was 1". After a few sets of test fitting I managed to work it all out.

The handlebars were too large to fit the controls so I bought some smaller pipe, cut off the ends, and welded them on. Kept the stock length and unless you remove them, you'd never know. Overall this has turned out to be an awesome project with the exception of me losing the rag clamp and sprocket preventing me from starting it up which is really bothering me. Using the 48 spoke wheel i'm told will be an issue but i'll figure it out once I find the sprocket. Anyway here is the finished result I have so far.

Future mods will include a proper expansion chamber, homemade CDI, high compression head, Whizzer 1 gallon tank (or something else that looks better than that stamped crap tank). I want to thank all of you guys. My countless hours reading these threads has got me to this point.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum Nate (^) that is a nice first build! You did a nice job whittling that 29'er down to fit ya and gave it a good boardtracker look as well. Hope ya find that sprocket so you can take er for a ride........have fun!

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Nate that's a great looking build! For a tank you could try a moped style tank. They are a bit longer and would have a deeper tunnel so that it would hang down over the sides of the top bar a bit. I used one on my previous build. Great work! Also, I like how the chrome and black compliment each other. For the drive chain I would highly recommend getting a hub adapter for the rear wheel.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hey nice build you have going on thar... I wanted to do one like this jsut had a couple questions:
-Did the rear mount fit on just fine?
-Do you think the ragjoint sprocket will fit just fine with it? (I guess only time will tell?)

Thanks, good luck on your build :D

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I've been told that you can get the ragjoint to fit by removing 3 of the nine in the bolt pattern, but you'll still have to squeeze it.

The other route you can choose is an adapter like this.

The problem your going to find with this adapter is that it doesn't exist for your bike. Not the black part anyway. Also this sprocket and others like it may require that you know chain sizes like 41 410 and i forget the other one. A suitable sprocket and adapter combination can found online somewhere I'm sure of it. The combination I got was wrong and now I'm paying for it.

A link to my Sprocket adaptor dilemma. Onyx build.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45690&page=3
you may find good information there about which route to go. let me know what you do please.

Last edited:

nate25tenn

Feb 17, 2013
Tennessee
Hey nice build you have going on thar... I wanted to do one like this jsut had a couple questions:
-Did the rear mount fit on just fine?
-Do you think the ragjoint sprocket will fit just fine with it? (I guess only time will tell?)

Thanks, good luck on your build :D
The sprocket needs to be enlarged about 1/8". I tightened mine down and as soon as I put force on it, it shifted. Enlarging the center hole will allow it to sit flat against the spokes and not hit the cup for the bearings inside. As for spokes and whatknot, I haven't had time to enlarge the hole so I can tell you. I only managed to get 5 bolts through that didn't rub against the spokes.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Nice job Nate I am in the process of building one with a 4 stroke in it. Tell me how you got the tank to fit? The studs in mine are too short and I can't add a coupler. Did you use longer studs?

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
The sprocket needs to be enlarged about 1/8". I tightened mine down and as soon as I put force on it, it shifted. Enlarging the center hole will allow it to sit flat against the spokes and not hit the cup for the bearings inside. As for spokes and whatknot, I haven't had time to enlarge the hole so I can tell you. I only managed to get 5 bolts through that didn't rub against the spokes.
Thanks, but the guy on CL never came through! (I guess its more searching for a base bike for me...)

nate25tenn

Feb 17, 2013
Tennessee
Nice job Nate I am in the process of building one with a 4 stroke in it. Tell me how you got the tank to fit? The studs in mine are too short and I can't add a coupler. Did you use longer studs?
I definitely cut a corner here but I don't plan on keeping the tank. The studs alone created a tight fit and I used industrial Velcro on the tube to keep it in place. It works suprisingly well. I did the whole "earthquake test" will a full tank and no issues. It'll work till I find a suitable replacement tank. Today I machine the sprocket to properly fit the rag joint. May actually get to start it today.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used two muffler clamps to mount the tank on my ONEX build. Just slid the tank studs along the side of the clamps and tack welded the studs to the clamps. Cut two little rubber pads to cusion the underside of the tank and painted black. Worked quick and easy and only cost $6 bucks or so.
Made my own version of the front mount with another clamp and a plate. Total cost for all the custom parts was less than $10 bucks. (welder not included)

nate25tenn

Feb 17, 2013
Tennessee
Well it's been going rather slowly. Had to buy a new chain it seems mine was twisted when I got it. Read about using a #41 chain so I went that route. Also a buddy made me a velocity stack. Here is it's picture:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
On my Genesis, the sprocket fit just fine. Any sprocket. I have the 41, 36, and 32T at home. They all have the same size center hole. All bolts fit, 4 fit fine, 3 fit under a small angle, 2 fit more difficult, but they fit.
On the rear, the metal plates are overlapping a tiny bit, due to the 2 bolts being angled.

I'm just waiting on another handlebar. Found one on Ebay, or amazon (forgot which) for $15, +$7 on shipping. That's a far cry from the $200 for most bars.
It's a 7/8 bar, with a 7/8 center. I will be using either a rubber piece to hold it better, or see if it mounts fine like this. There's a 2 mm tolerance I can play with, perhaps I won't even need the rubber, but will see which solution will be the best.

My only complain, is the Onyx' terrible braking!

Once it's finished, I'll upload a photo.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been telling people the kit sprocket and ragjoint will fit these bikes....
Just takes a little more work. The one I did is still rolling just fine after about three months.