Mysterious engine problem

GoldenMotor.com

helenmax112233

Jun 22, 2009
california
Anyone who knows what happen on my engine?
Today when I was riding my bike and the engine started to seize up so I took it back to the house. I took the engine apart and examined everything to find no problem so I rebuilt the engine. Afterwards the seizing problem consisted.
Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How do you know it was seizing up?
How far down did you take the engine?
When you say "rebuilt" I am guessing you meant "re-assembled".

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My first question would be, How much oil are you mixing into the gas??? & are you shaking it well before you pour it into the tank??

Last edited:

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
Taking your engine apart before you contact your seller can invalidate your warranty

You bought your motor kit from TheLAShop.com so what did they
say about your problem?

Did you talk to them on the phone or by email? What kind of support do they offer?
What is their warranty?

Did you install the kit yourself?

Anyone who knows what happen on my engine?
Today when I was riding my bike and the engine started to seize up so I took it back to the house. I took the engine apart and examined everything to find no problem so I rebuilt the engine. Afterwards the seizing problem consisted.
Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

helenmax112233

Jun 22, 2009
california
Finally find my thread here. Thank you for all of you trying to solve my problem.

My husband and I followed the instructions that TheLAShop.com sent to us to install the engine kit. It looked very cool after we finished assembling. We used a ratio of 20:1 gas mixture to run the motor. My husband said that oil ratio would be plenty of lubrication and the motor should not be seizing up with that mixture. The oil and gas were mixed in a gas can prior to being put into the gas tank and they were well mixed.

The motor barely ran and after about 30 seconds the compression got tighter and tighter until it sized up. And then we had to run the engine backwards to get it unstuck.

The bicycle motor is new to our lives. So we don't know much abut it.:-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It doesn't sound right that the piston would seize up that quickly if you had that much oil in the gas...
If you're right, and the engine did indeed seize up; I'm guessing that it's a bearing.

Do a few little tests... First- Pull the clutch lever in & see if the bike still rolls freely. If it does roll, I think the clutch & rear bearings are fine.
Second test- Take out the spark plug, leave the clutch lever "out" & roll the bike around & see if the engine is spinning freely? (is the piston going up & down?)

Tell me what you find?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
they rolled or ran it backwards to get it unstuck? sounds like the chain is bunching up on the front sprocket? If that is the case then your drive chain is too slack. Just a guess.
Norman

helenmax112233

Jun 22, 2009
california
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice. I couldn't do anything to the motor and, I didn't know how to deal with it either. I finally asked the seller - TheLAShop.com - Tattoo Kit - Bicycle Motor - Massage Equipment - Gardening Equipment - Heat Press Machine - Photography Equipment - Aquarium Supplies - & Much More! for help. They tried many ways to help me solve the problem, however, none worked. At last, they sent me a new motor while I had to return mine for exchange. Anyway, I feel their customer service is good, nice with patience. And so far, the new motor runs well though I am still curious to know what happen to my former motor.

helenmax112233

Jun 22, 2009
california
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice. I couldn't do anything to the motor and, I didn't know how to deal with it either. I finally asked the seller - TheLAShop.com - Tattoo Kit - Bicycle Motor - Massage Equipment - Gardening Equipment - Heat Press Machine - Photography Equipment - Aquarium Supplies - & Much More! for help. They tried many ways to help me solve the problem, however, none worked. At last, they sent me a new motor while I had to return mine for exchange. Anyway, I feel their customer service is good, nice with patience. And so far, the new motor runs well though I am still curious to know what happen to my former motor.
I don't know why there is a link. I didn't type it.