brakes

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I've decided to heed the advice given by many here to not rely solely on my coaster brake.I'm riding a cruiser with 2.125 tires and fenders.I suppose I'll need an oversize caliper (front only) How do they size these things.Any good place to pick one up.I'm not looking for anything fancy here.Thanks,Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you can get a cheap set at any bike shop and they are all wide enough. i think i paid 19 bucks and that was for 2 sets. the second set gives me an extra pair of shoes :D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am guilty of rear coaster only brake system...bad joe, BAD joe!

Front brakes are an easy and inexspensive upgrade and one of the first that should be done if you plan on riding more than a few miles a year.

Do as I say, not as I do...

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I have ONLY a front brake on my MB. The fuel tank did not allow for a rear brake cable to be ran and I had to get rid of it. I've been in a few panic stops and NEVER had a problem of flipping forwards. Sometime ill have to rig it and make a rear brake work.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
You had an open wire type, correct. The fuel tank fouled it. I had the same thing. I went and got a full sheathed cable zip tied it to the frame and that was the fix. Have fun Dave
I have ONLY a front brake on my MB. The fuel tank did not allow for a rear brake cable to be ran and I had to get rid of it. I've been in a few panic stops and NEVER had a problem of flipping forwards. Sometime ill have to rig it and make a rear brake work.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Ahh, thanks! Yeah, this bike was the most pita out of the two i've done. I had to get rid of the front and rear shifters so i'm left with a single speed bike only....which is fine since I have another bike for when I want a real workout.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I am guilty of rear coaster only brake system...bad joe, BAD joe!

Front brakes are an easy and inexspensive upgrade and one of the first that should be done if you plan on riding more than a few miles a year.
Almost ready to break-in my 4 stroke after riding about 4 miles for a virgin ride with coaster brakes only. Ran out of gas on the ride & sheared the key on the free wheel. Got this fixed & runs like a dream now.

I'm running a Schwinn Jag with 12 ga/2.125 tires on front/back. Have a coaster brake on the back & took off the stock brakes on the back. The front has the stock brakes still installed...but not wired up. The new wheels are wider than the stock 14 ga which came with the bike.

The problem is that it's looking like I'm not going to be able to run with the stock cantilever brakes since the wheel is too wide to get proper spacing. Want to run a drum brake...but without the almost $100 extra I need for the front Huffy wheel...I want to get these front brakes running.

Anyone have any suggestions on using these or purchasing another set for about $20 or less with a web site which will work for my MB?

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
You could always try v-brakes instead of the canti brakes. They should mount up to the existing mounts, and the stopping on v-brakes is spectacular. My old bike just had old side pull brakes. When I got the new bike with v-brakes, I tried it out without the motor, and nearly fell over the front because I pulled the brake lever as hard I as I would the old brakes :).

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
You could always try v-brakes instead of the canti brakes. They should mount up to the existing mounts, and the stopping on v-brakes is spectacular. My old bike just had old side pull brakes. When I got the new bike with v-brakes, I tried it out without the motor, and nearly fell over the front because I pulled the brake lever as hard I as I would the old brakes :).
Went over to the website listed in a previous message & those brakes look exactly like what I have with the noodle/dust cover & cable connector on that Schwinn Jaguar I got from Target's last summer.

Last edited:

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Fantastic!!! Got any links I can order from?
Yea, sry, I made another post with a link, should have included it in the first one :).
There might be cheaper places, but the prices on that site seem pretty good.

Edit: Ok, the website was working, and now it's down. It should be back eventually :)

Last edited:

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Went over to the website listed in a previous message & those brakes look exactly like what I have with the noodle/dust cover & cable connector on that Schwinn Jaguar I got from Target's last summer.
Ah ok, when you said cantilever I was thinking of a different type of brake. SOme of those v-brakes might be wider then the ones that came on the bike to begin with. you could also try actual cantilever brakes instead. With those you might be able to get enough space between the cables to allow room for the wheel. Those brakes are on that website too.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Just took apart new rear wheel on a Cranbrook to put some real grease in the hub, now when I apply the coaster brake, it squeals very loudly. Any thoughts

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ah ok, when you said cantilever I was thinking of a different type of brake. SOme of those v-brakes might be wider then the ones that came on the bike to begin with. you could also try actual cantilever brakes instead. With those you might be able to get enough space between the cables to allow room for the wheel. Those brakes are on that website too.
Got them spaced on the bike & cabled up. Am having a problem with the rear of the pad dragging against the rim. Will be working on it in a couple of days with a buddy of mine with more experience than myself. At least they will stop the wheel when applied & hold...but it's like dating a beautiful woman or driving a sports car...the way you treat them is in the details or at least enough money to make them not care.;)