Blowing spokes left and right

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I'm running a 26“ wheel with 36 14g spokes and they're just popping everywhere. I damaged some when my chain bent some, I had them replaced, now I've got a handful more that are broken.

Biggest headache because this is my ride to work. A new hand-built wheel is a ton of money and I can find anyone with heavy duty 12g spoked disc wheels in stock

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Sorry, had to vent. I think the shop that replaced the spokes probably used cheap Chinese crap.

I'm taking the wheel to another shop to replace the broken spokes and true that wheel again

The original spokes just bent, mainly from the drive chain coming off and wedging itself against them, and I did crash. Only one or two broke though.

After the rebuild I have at least four broken spokes, not bent, broken.

Not crashes, nothing, just riding the and from work.

Not happy. And, yes, I'm investing in a chain whip and cassette removal tool so I can fix my own spokes in the future.

Truing stands aren't cheap I see.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Where are they snapping? I lose them at the hub-holes, so I got a higher quality hub plus I deburr the holes and grease them. This mitigates my breakages from about 5 a month to 1.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have run into a few spoke popper wheels lately. Replacing them did nothing to stop breakage until I started using old used spokes. The brand new ones I actually bought(!) were junk. Snapped randomly for no reason even during truing.
Used spokes fixed the problem and I now use the brand new spokes to poke ignorant people in the eye, which is still causing broken spokes.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Spokes from http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html . First wheels set I ever built in my life I read and read on the subject to avoid any junk.

He builds custom wheel sets for some of the Endless Sphere crowed. These are electric motors that can shred spokes. When they are junk.

Anywhay I have a custom bike that my wheels went on. over ten horse power. Going on prolly 17,000 miles now.

My secrete when I built them I preloaded them properly. Something you folks cannot achieve with crap metal spokes. I have never followed up on my wheels since the day I built them on my sofa eating Bon Bons. lol.

Seriously I use absolutely no truing stand.

When I ordered my spokes I used a micrometer and had the dimensions of my rim. After this it was cake walk!

You see the spokes were for the wheel set I was building. Essentially they were all cut the same length. This gave me the opportunity to look right at the wire coming through the spoke nut. Long story short I used a screw driver making the same amount of turns and patiently observing my progress. I made a ton of laps. finally the screw diver did not fit as the spokes came flush.

Important to say I stopped a lot marked where I left out like at the valve stem is a great place to start. This is when I would take moments to work the spokes often making them sit over the top where they cross in a more natural manner.

My last laps were using a spoke wrench. When I was done where the seam meets up at the point the rim is joined together when they build it at the factory . I simple customized spoke tension to reflect. Resulting in a perfect straight wheel.

I have never had to touch these spokes since the day I built the wheel. A little secrete is the pre-load. The spokes never come loose. On a wheel with unkept spoke tension you are more likely to bust spokes. Especially on a cheap wheel set.

I went to the school of hard Knocks on this one the learning is over. I don't use a rag joint ether.:)rotfl

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I use disc mount only, no rag joint. Chris Murray is a wheelbuilder for Borealis Fat Bikes, he built my wheels for my road bike and will soon be building a wheel for my MB.

The biggest problem I'm having is my chain coming off because the tension not being enough, thus getting wedged in between my spokes and hub. Crushing my spokes. After about $70, I think I've learned my lesson.

Keep tension tight enough to keep the chain on, but loose enough to pedal.