Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"wheel building seminar" That sounds pretty cool. Gonna look in to that,

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i was thinking about the Worksman industrial front drum brake with heavy duty wheel.

as to springers, i want to find the lower profile "rat trap" springers like the ones on the old Sears Spaceliners. anybody know who (or if) makes those?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Yep, Schwinn made a 20" sting ray in the 70's that had a drum brake on front. Pacific Cycle now owns Schwinn. Service # 800-626-2811 There in Madison WI. They have been very helpful to me. I want a 26" for my Point beach. Also a springer is a "street" front end. Don't go motocrossing with it.

themark

Oct 16, 2008
Tokyo
...i want to find the lower profile "rat trap" springers like the ones on the old Sears Spaceliners. anybody know who (or if) makes those?
I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to make new ones. How about a vintage one? A quick google image search produced this. You can get the whole bike (ladies, sorry) with the fork you're looking for attached here:

Barney's Bicycle

Interesting geometry. I wonder how it rode?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
looks like you could make one pretty easy! interesting. I'm definately going to try some different (a variety of) drums!

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Crossbow Cycle makes a springer fork that is outstanding in quality and looks. This link is to the site but you can find them elsewhere (Ebay). They can be ordered for a disc brake application also.
Crossbow Cycles Forks
Those forks look real nice. I might try and get a set when I start my next proj. I got a set of lowrider forks I ordered online for about 40.00. Probably cheap chinese crap. We'll see how long the last. The spring is real soft for sure. I might try to make a spacer or something to stiffen it up. It should be pretty cheap to do, if I decide to.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I thought it was the other way around. The Schwinn type is a girder, and the Monark (Crossbow) is a springer. At least, it is if you search Google.
you are right. Girders generally have one spring, and springers have two, at least that's the way it is in the motorcycle world.