E-bike rider dies in Windsor Ontario Canada

GoldenMotor.com

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
I live near the Detroit (MI) area and am able to receive so AM radio broadcasts from Windsor Ontario, Canada. Two days ago, they reported that a E-bike rider and auto collided, killing the rider on the E-bike. This radio program took calls from listeners for two hours, asking for their thoughts on what should be done about the growing problem with people riding their E-bikes in wreckless manners. At the present time, helmets and being 16 years or older, are the only requirements. Insurance, drivers licensing and E-bike licenses were all discussed. They went on the report that Windsor City Council will be looking into the matter. BMF

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yea this is a sad story about a 62 year old man out being mobile on his E Bike. Going by the news the driver of the SUV that was involved will likely face some charges. The talk of banning E Bikes, licencing, insurance etc is a typical knee jerk reaction before all facts are known, sad.

Although...

I know more than a few people that ride bicycles and E Bikes that are completely ignorant of the rules of the road and as well since they don't drive a car they have absolutely no clue about how to deal with traffic. I mean personally I won't drive or ride anything that doesn't have a rear view mirror, sometimes what's going on behind you is more important than what's going on in front. Without exception I look both ways at intersections regardless of who has the green light or right of way and that has saved me more than times than I can count! I make eye contact and always signal well in advance if I'm changing lanes etc. To me those are basic road survival skills EVERYONE should know regardless if your walking, riding or driving!

When I was a kid the local police used to have a bicycle rodeo every summer and at them they would teach us some basic rules of the road and if you scored well you got a ribbon at the end of the day. Haven't heard of anything like that going on in many years sadly.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Crash+kills+bike+rider+Windsor/6902474/story.html

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/0...rue&preview_id=39256&preview_nonce=c518a5c8e2

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/bike+rider+always+cautious+says/6907783/story.html

R.I.P Mr. Marion

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Thanks Rockenstein for the links to the newspapers in this matter of the E-bike crash in Windsor; lots of good information. I would be interested to hear how the driver of the SUV makes out legally in this matter.

I have several different motorcycles and one Chinese engine 66cc powered bicycle. I only ride the powered bicycle in the country for pleasure only on dirt roads and I always have my head turning looking for cars/trucks which maybe coming up behind me that I can't hear. I have been riding two wheelers for over 60 (sixty) years now!!!

Thanks for the reply to my post, BMF