Which Bike?

GoldenMotor.com

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Having built my first bike (thanks for everyone's help in getting it running) I am looking to build two or three more. I want to use single speed bikes with front suspension, costing around $200.00, and mount four stroke engines on them. The trouble is no vendors seem to be selling such bikes. Do they even exist, or do I have to buy a single-speed and add suspension? To make things more complicated, there are a ton of vendors and I have no experience with any of them. I don't want to waste my money. I already did that, having bought my first engine from a company that I later found out had the worst possible reviews (on the other mb site).

So my open question is: if you were starting a project such as mine, how would you approach it and where would you buy your bikes?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a suspension fork on my cruiser, but they can be hard to find- because they're one inch, not 1 1/8 like most mountain bike suspension forks- and you have to get a steerer tube long enough about 6 inches- so be careful- you can cut down a longer one with a hacksaw, if it's threaded enough- but can't use one too short

Was it curbhoppers on ebay? Search there. It's been a couple years now and I think it was about $50 shipped- It adds a little weight but works great- especially with a shock seatpost

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
sure they exist!cruiser bikes with springer forks are all over the place.if you want mountain bike forks you will most likely have to put them on yourself.You might have to replace the headset and stem as well as the handlebars.All depends on what you can find.never say never.or,you could convert a multispeed bike to single speed by adding a chain tensioner or half link to get the chain tension right.there are a lot of different ways the cheapest being a coaster brake cruiser with springer forks which work great.btw,most springer forks are 1" but there are also 1 1/8"size ones out there and the same goes for mtn bike forks,check ebay.I snagged some 1" threaded suspension forks for $20 about a year ago the steer tube was just barely long enough but fit perfect for the bike I put them on(an old firestone warrior coaster brake cruiser).good luck

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I want to use single speed bikes with front suspension, costing around $200.00, and mount four stroke engines on them.
Do mean like these I build?

I get the Macargi Touch bikes for $160 and the Springer for another $50 right around the corner at my local bike store.
Motorcycle type forks are $65 and hold up and work better.

Figure another $15 or less to put at least a front brake on it, or $30 if you want to put front and rear side-pulls on either side since there is no clutch and still have the coaster brake as backup which I HIGHLY recommend.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!
Unlike the direct drive 2-stroke motor kits, the 4-stroke is not only half again as heavy, but it has a freewheel drive side.
In other words, when you let off the gas unlike a 2-stroke that gives you motor drag the bike coasts freely and ONLY has the brakes to slow it down and stop it.
If you try to rely on just a coaster brake someone is going to get really hurt and I'd smack you upside the head for selling one that way ;-}

Good luck with the build!

Last edited:

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Hey, KCvale, that is a sweet build. Thanks for the useful info. I was thinking of trying to put disc brakes on the front forks, which would probably mean using mountain bike forks. Any suggestions on a reliable and reasonably priced brand?

kevyleven007 and Nashville Kat, sorry I never got around to thanking you. I appreciate you responces and the information you provided.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hey, KCvale, that is a sweet build.
I was thinking of trying to put disc brakes on the front forks
Thanks ;-}
Sorry, no fork suggestions off hand, but if you are going disc you will want front forks with the mount on them, and then you will need a front wheel with the disc mount plate as the aftermarket 'bolt on' ones look a little shaky to me.

Another option is a Drum Brake front wheel, you can put that on any type fork and they work well. I like the Strumey Archer on this Army themed 4-stroke Felt bike I am rebuilding, it has a 6VAC generator in it too.

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Good suggestion, drum brakes would give me lots more options as far as forks. Any photos of your Felt army in progress? I am eager to see it. You Luxury really turned out great as well. Jack shaft from SickBike ?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Any photos of your Felt army in progress? I am eager to see it. You Luxury really turned out great as well. Jack shaft from SickBike ?
I thought I posted the front wheel pic in my last post, guess not.

I didn't build it, I just got it to run.
Apparantly the guy bought it used and thew the drive chain all the time. He took it 3 other guys over the last 2 1/2 years and the problem was never solved. he found me and brought it by.

I diagnosed it in 1 minute while he stood there.
The sprocket was mounted on the insideside of the hub flange so the teeth were inside the outside of the tire hehehe.

It was a pain to fix, the flange wouldn't come off the hub so I had to cut the old sprocket off and then mount a new one on the outside of the flange, and modify the drum brake to work without hitting the sprocket but I got it.
The chain runs true to the motor now and doesn't hit the tire.

I really like the bike, I thought it would be a dog, and it is off the line, but she'll do well over 30 once you get her up to speed.

Last edited:

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Cool, gutsy looking bike. I am glad you got it running. What the heck kind of engine is that?

As i mentioned, I am planning to make a four stoker, and have always wondered why these engines are mounted so high in the frame. Do they have to be like that or could they be lowered by modifying the supplied mount or, perhaps, by fabricating a new one?