Bike Building

GoldenMotor.com

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Awesome, thanks. So why do you prefer the rack mount system. It seems to me that the weight of the bike would be all messed up. The little subaru motors are supposed to be really sweet, but I have sort of thrown that idea out because of the weight issue and I thought it would be useful to have saddlebags.
The Subaru 35 (or Honda 35) weighs 8 lbs. Compare that for weight with any of the in-frame 4 strokes. BTW, bags or panniers are not a problem with rack mounts.

Alu vs steel, you'll get varying opinions. The damage I have seen from bolting an engine onto a bicycle has been with Alu, particularly in-frame.

Furthermore, thank you much for the detailed information, it is very much appreciated.
You're very welcome, hope it helps. You seem to be doing your due diligence which is a good thing. Keep asking questions. Best of luck with your project and ride safe.

Last edited:

jt1111

Sep 18, 2011
Oregon
Hey all, I am going to revive this thread in the hopes of getting some sizing information on mountain bikes. I believe (although I am not certain) that my last hard tail mountain bike was a medium and measured 17", it was on the smaller size for me, so I could go a bit larger. Assuming that I am going to find a late 80's/early 90's mountain bike with a large center triangle, what would be the smallest size I could get away with.

Let me say that another way, if you were going to order a bike unseen in person what would be the smallest size you would be comfortable ordering knowing that you are going to put in a 50cc 4 stroke. thanks in advance.