Schwinn ID help needed

GoldenMotor.com

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
So I picked up a Schwinn single speed cruiser for $165 yesterday. Seems I have a mismatch when it comes to the headbadge/serial. Badge number is 3342 whisc is supposed to mean it was made on the 334th day of a year ending in 2. The serial number is DQ578837, which is supposed to be an April '79 model.

Any suggestions on how to clear this up and figure out what model it is? I'm considering restoring it to stock, but that might take some effort. The crankset and chain have been replaced, missing kickstand and chainguard. The wheels have been replaced including the original hubs. Now it has a Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake on it that I don't know if it is any good, or if I should put a new HD hub in there.

I will upload pics later, photobucket seems to not be online.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Sounds like a good candidate to build a custom off of. A restoration would be cool if all the original parts were mostly there. If it's a '79, it's not really a highly valuable frame, but definitely a good candidate for a motor! Good luck with the build!

the CB-110E is a good hub to use also. It would be one suggested by many members on the board.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Pictures are now up Here.

I did get a kickstand installed as well since the pics. I am now considering a powder coating job too. I just got quoted $75-105 for a single color. Only issue is I would have to remove the badge and then reattach it later. Not sure if I am comfortable doing that.

Any comments about the wheel or tire brand would be nice, I know nothing of these companies. I know the tires are kevlar, but that's it.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Your frame on the bike was built in May 1979. That is what the SN is telling us. So you are correct about it being a 1979 model. Probably sold it in 1980. They were always a year difference in building and retailing. The rest of the bike such as front sprocket set and pedals tell me they are considerably newer. The handlebars look correct. I like the wheels you put on it.
Just my 2 cents.
donb4103

Last edited:

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Yea I got the bike exactly as it sits. I know both wheels were replaced along with front crank and chain.

The frame, handlebars are pretty much the only thing original.