Stretch Bike with Disk Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

MaFioZ

Nov 17, 2008
Boston, MA
Hello,
I built a 2-stroke on a mountain bike frame. My new project is to build a 4stroke 70cc on a stretch frame. Step 1 is to find right bike (already found engine). My requirements are that it is a stretch frame (stretch cruiser or a chopper), it has disk brakes (front especially important), and that the lower tube is no lower then the midpoint of the chain (if the chain is much higher then the lower tube, I will not be able to mount the engine). I found a chopper on XYZ bikes with the right frame and rear disk brakes for the right price, but the front fork does not even have mounts on it. I found Nirve Switchblade which has a front disk brake, but the frame is wrong for my mount and its $600.

Does anyone know where I can find a chopper with at least disk brake mounts on the front fork, right type of frame, and under $400 after shipping?

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
MaFioZ, Welcome to the forum, I'm currently working on an ( XYZ BRAND ), XL Chopper 001 Black which I purchased from Beach Cruisers Liquidation Sale $88, $99 ....

Checkout the Link here to my thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/f40/xl-chopper-4-stroke-pit-dirtbike-18970.html

I purchased two (2) Loncin 70cc engines from High RPM Racer the engines are on sale right now $139.00 plus shipping, here's the Link:
Loncin Engine - $139 SPECIAL 70cc Engine Complete - Full Auto - No Reverse - $139.00 - HighRpmRacer.com

You can get the front disc brake fork setup from Home - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S..

Stretch Cruisers motorized with the chinese cloned honda 4-stroke 50cc/70cc is a challenge, but if you have the patience you can do it.

As for the pedal chain space / height issue, you can mount a idler/chain tensioner on the bottom right side of engine, see i-paint's Stretch Cruiser thread on Loncin 110cc 4-stroke 61.1 mph:
http://motorbicycling.com/f40/stretch-frame-loncin-110cc-engine-61mph-19007.html

As far as finding a bike for under $400.00 with front and rear Disc Brakes, I don't have any suggestions, other than get your XYZ Chopper and add the front Disc Brakes!

Is this is the XYZ Chopper 6-speed with rear Disc Brakes you are thinking about I'd say get it before they sell out, like I said you can add the front Disc Brakes to the Bike:
Chopper beach cruiser silver002

The XL Chopper 001 Black that I bought is just like the 6-speed only it's single speed no Disc Brakes, and yes it was on sale for $88.00

Peace Crazy Horse.

MaFioZ

Nov 17, 2008
Boston, MA
Crazy Horse,
Thanks for quick and informative reply. I already saw the threads you posted and did lots of research prior to posting.
First, I would like to make my qualifications more clear. I do not necessarily want the bike to come with front brakes, but I do want the fork to have mounts on it for later upgrade (Giant Stilleto Chopper has mounts but is impossible to find). I do not want to spend $200 for a new fork when the bike costs less.
I looked a Disk brake conversion kits, and I have a hard time finding the whole kit. I looked at what it would cost by buying different parts (from different sites) and it worked out to $88 per set before shipping. I am also not very confident of how durable a conversion kit is. I would feel much safer stopping from 50mph when my brakes are directly mounted to the frame.
I almost bought the 6 speed bike from XYZ, but the combination of poor shipping reviews, $100 for shipping, and the lack of mounting holes for disk brakes on the fork made me reconsider.
The chain issue I have figured out. As long as the lower tube is at the midpoint of the chain or above(as shown in your pictures) I can mount a chain tensioner to redirect the chain. When the tube is well bellow the chain, then it become much much harder project. I did not get the following bike for that reason even though it comes with front disk brakes.
amazon.com/Nirve-Switchblade-Chopper-Bike/dp/B002N5EH72 (Can't post as a link or post doesn't show up!)
If you look at the picture, you will notice that not only will the engine be at an awkward angle, but it will be in the direct path of the chain.
Thank you again.
MaF-

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I'm sure there are many options for you to get what you are looking for, but here is how I mounted my disc brake on a springer fork. Maybe it will help you somehow. Really easy mod. If you can fab up your own motor mount, you can easily make this type of brake mount. Nothing needed but a grinder and a drill. I used washers to get the right alignment for the caliper on the rotor. Good luck with your venture.

Attachments

MaFioZ

Nov 17, 2008
Boston, MA
Nice Civlized, very clever design. I would be worried about the durability of the modded brakes. I would not feel safe slamming on them at 50MPH. From what I can tell from your picture, your mount will compromise the fork structure. Because of the way your fork is made (tube folded at bottom) drilling it will make it weaker (more so then most). I don't know how much weaker(it might still be acceptable), but I don't want to take a chance(especially if I plan to break 50mph).

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I like them, they're behind the fork and the brace so they can't go anywhere, I'd try them

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I understand your concern. I felt the same way when I tried it. So far, I have around 800 miles on it with no problems and trust me, I do well over 50mph. I have recently changed to a hydraulic caliper and like it much, much better. I will certainly report if I have any failures with this set up, or any other for that matter.

Attachments

MaFioZ

Nov 17, 2008
Boston, MA
Civ,
Looking at your new pic, I am very interested in how you set up the "Shifter kit like" shaft to transfer the chain to the other side. Did you manufacture the part or buy it?
LoMein,
You can post the pics for me, or send me the pics and I'll post them. You currently have my bike, remember?
-MaF

MaFioZ

Nov 17, 2008
Boston, MA
Civ thanks! Now I know how I will build my version of the shifter kit for under $50. I will get the jackshaft kit from that site with 2 of the same gears (1:1 drive for pedals) and purchase a separate larger gear for the engine.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I understand your concern. I felt the same way when I tried it. So far, I have around 800 miles on it with no problems and trust me, I do well over 50mph. I have recently changed to a hydraulic caliper and like it much, much better. I will certainly report if I have any failures with this set up, or any other for that matter.
fantastic bike you have there!

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I'm currently building a Giant Stiletto, they are available but you really have to shop. I found a chrome version on Craigslist for $150 in very good condition. I saw another used one at a bike shop in rough shape for $200, but it was all there. What's great about these bikes is the frame is 1 1/4" high tensile steel tubing, the kind used on motorcycle frames, it has a built-in jackshaft, the 3 inch tires are very high quality, and the shift components are Shimano. Like most chopper frames, there's lots of room to mount the engine. I'm using a HD Sprint gas tank, a hard tail springer seat, and a 66 cc Chinagirl. I've replaced the 20" front wheel with a 26 incher with 203mm disc and caliper adapter to jack the front like a bobber.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
I'm sure there are many options for you to get what you are looking for, but here is how I mounted my disc brake on a springer fork. Maybe it will help you somehow. Really easy mod. If you can fab up your own motor mount, you can easily make this type of brake mount. Nothing needed but a grinder and a drill. I used washers to get the right alignment for the caliper on the rotor. Good luck with your venture.
Very cool mount.
FR