Help Please: Micargi General, rear wheel is locks up

GoldenMotor.com

-=theGeneral=-

May 21, 2010
Long Beach
Help Please: Micargi General, rear wheel locks up

I am almost done (hopefully) with my first motorbike. It's a 66cc motor on a Micargi General cruiser, in an attempt to replicate a board-track racer style. Everything went on with only few hitches, but now I am stumped. When I attached the drive chain, the rear wheel locks up as soon as I move it forward. I don't think its the coaster brake since it was working prior to attaching the drive chain. My suspicion is that the problem lies with the clutch adjustment. In an attempt to fix it, I tightened the clutch cable as far as possible (with lever pulled) and tightened that. Any suggestions?
Best Wishes,
Logan

Attachments

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It sounds like the clutch is stuck in the engaged mode. Quite common actually for a brand new engine.
You have to remove the engine sprocket cover.
Next, hit the "bucking bar" protruding out of the sprocket shaft firmly once or twice with a hammer to jar loose the clutch internals. Do not hit it so hard as to send it into next week, you don't want to damage anything.
The factories are known for using too little lubricant on the release bearing during assembly. While you are in there it is a good idea to fix that. The bucking bar just pulls right out exposing a single steel ball bearing. If the bearing does not come out on it's own, remove it with a magnetic pick up tool or whatever you have handy. Pack a good amount of quality grease inside the hollow sprocket shaft then put the bearing followed by the bucking bar back into place. Put each one back in individually to allow the grease to squish around well.
Wipe off any excess grease that may have squished out and put the sprocket cover back on.
Here's a link to how the assembly goes together:
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-motorized-bicycle-clutch-assembly-8939.html

-=theGeneral=-

May 21, 2010
Long Beach
Thanks a million GearNut! I crammed a bunch of marine lube in there and it fixed the problem more or less. It's still pretty stiff but it will move now when I pedal. I was even able to start it up and take it around the block a few times! Man it feels good to finally here that engine go! Now it's time to tighten all those bolts that just loosened up!