Busting the rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

RossCessna

Apr 3, 2010
Arcata
I keep busting my rear wheel. The guy at the shop says that there is too much torque, I am using a 26 inch bike tire like everyone else. Am I messing up them wheel by not tightening the sprocket corhttp://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/Waa.gifrectly or do i need a stronger tire? Anyone else have the same problem?:-||

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Can you be more specific about which part of the wheel. Spokes, rim, hub, tire? If it is the spokes then you can have the wheel rebuilt with thicker guage spokes. If tire then a good kevlar reinforced tire, if rim then a good double walled rim, if hub then heavy duty hub. Bike shops have all of those and I think one of the sponsors here sells a wheel set already built with double wall rime, thicker spokes, and heavy duty hub.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You must have a really bad wheel/wheels. Or do you try to pop wheelies? Dropping the clutch while revving the engine in not suggested.

I have never bent a spoke or a wheel on a motorized bike.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Ross,
Are you using modern rims? I have over 1000mi (I'm 220)on my rims and havn't broke a spoke AND I'm running a rag joint in this rim. What are you using to mount the sprocket? If your using a rag joint I hope your using the rubber on each side of the spokes. Let us know so we can help.
Mac