grubee gt5 cylinder differant port map than others ???

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Some good and very interesting info here, basically wanted to just bump this up for the sake of anyone who may have some of the questions that get answered here.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
you can run a pk piston in a gt5 as long as the con rod has z-l on it or zaf 50 not the zaf 60 tho. and yes the jugs are different the biggest visual difference is the gt5 usually has a tapered transfer port window..
That's nice to know... I bought a pk80 jug and piston set from BGF last year and found it a little strange that the jug had the tapered or slanted transfer port windows, the piston was the right pk80 type, but the jug was definitely different. I started some port work on it but ended up using my other jug since it was better suited for the Dax lower I was pitting everything on... the transfer port windows seemed to be a bit smaller too besides being slanted at the top of the window.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Seems like this is what the "Half Breed" engine is, A GT5 lower with the same dimension rod as the zaf50 rod and then a Type A piston and jug, only difference is the ZAE50 cranks have wider counter weights.

I'm assuming the the Half Breed is easily made into a GT5 by simply using the type b piston and the Type B jug or just milling the deck down on a Type A jug.

Fred told me that the Type A PK-80 jug works great on the GT5 lower after about .100" is taken off the deck, he said the port timing works out very good an this combination.

I was thinking by him telling me this that the difference in deck height was the main difference in the GT5 jug and the Pk-80 jug.

I have the GT5 lower I purchased from YesImLDS sitting out in the shop still, I have a GT5 jug and several pk-80 jugs so I'm gonna put a Type B piston on the rod and do some visuals between the two different jugs when sitting on the GT5 lower, I want to see if both uncover the ports the same amount at TDC and BDC.

I'm wondering if Fred told me this because the pk-80 jug places the ports a tad bit higher when on the GT5 lower than they are when the GT5 jug is on the GT5 lower...hmmm

If I have time tomorrow I'm gonna have to see for myself what the deal is here.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Seems like this is what the "Half Breed" engine is, A GT5 lower with the same dimension rod as the zaf50 rod and then a Type A piston and jug, only difference is the ZAE50 cranks have wider counter weights.

I'm assuming the the Half Breed is easily made into a GT5 by simply using the type b piston and the Type B jug or just milling the deck down on a Type A jug.

Fred told me that the Type A PK-80 jug works great on the GT5 lower after about .100" is taken off the deck, he said the port timing works out very good an this combination.

I was thinking by him telling me this that the difference in deck height was the main difference in the GT5 jug and the Pk-80 jug.

I have the GT5 lower I purchased from YesImLDS sitting out in the shop still, I have a GT5 jug and several pk-80 jugs so I'm gonna put a Type B piston on the rod and do some visuals between the two different jugs when sitting on the GT5 lower, I want to see if both uncover the ports the same amount at TDC and BDC.

I'm wondering if Fred told me this because the pk-80 jug places the ports a tad bit higher when on the GT5 lower than they are when the GT5 jug is on the GT5 lower...hmmm

If I have time tomorrow I'm gonna have to see for myself what the deal is here.

So Map, if I have a GT-5 motor with an FM-80 rod, what piston would be ideal for this setup??
Im still trying to understand the different types' of pistons dimensions. And im not even sure which vendor is capable of selling me the correct one...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
So Map, if I have a GT-5 motor with an FM-80 rod, what piston would be ideal for this setup??
Im still trying to understand the different types' of pistons dimensions. And im not even sure which vendor is capable of selling me the correct one...
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281563273687&alt=web

Other vendors have the high pin pistons also, but this is where I have got my last ones, this is the correct piston for the GT5/Skyhawk geometry engine.