Suicide Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

I thought it would be cool to have a suicide clutch on the o' MB.

After some research I found quite a few threads on suicide shifters but none on suicide clutch for the china girl.

Considering the level of expertise some of you guys posses I am sure that if someone hasn't made one, someone could help me brain storm about the idea.

Thanks! .wee.

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
You recieved several replys to this question in a previous thead > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57167

For safety sake it isn't a good idea. It might look cool but it could hurt you.

Tom
I forgot I even posted that previously. Obviously this is something I have been wanting for a while.

I understand the concern but honestly safety is not something I'm too worried about 2door.

Im a skateboarder and have been for 16 years. I jump down huge sets of stairs, grind handrails and do a lot of things more dangerous then taking one hand off of the handle bar of my bike... seems like all the replies I received on the previous thread were about why I shouldn't do it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I forgot I even posted that previously. Obviously this is something I have been wanting for a while.

I understand the concern but honestly safety is not something I'm too worried about 2door.

Im a skateboarder and have been for 16 years. I jump down huge sets of stairs, grind handrails and do a lot of things more dangerous then taking one hand off of the handle bar of my bike... seems like all the replies I received on the previous thread were about why I shouldn't do it.
Just for a moment let's forget my position on this forum and allow me to post my opinions as just another member.

Maybe you aren't concerned with safety, your preogative, your body, but for the benefit of this hobby/sport maybe you should give it a little consideration. The more people who get hurt on a motorized bicycle the less chance we'll have the freedoms we enjoy today.

Legislators in many areas are looking for excuses to outlaw our bikes. It would be better for everyone to not give them more ammunition.

Tom

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Im not looking to step on anyone's toes Tom.

It just seems that 80% of the time no matter what the topic is people seem to be quicker to bash and talk down then to help. It has actually gotten a bit frustrating. But I understand the concern completely.

If it makes everyone feel better Ill lay off the SC idea.

I actually got pulled over between this post and the previous and the cop pretty much told me that my bike was not street legal and since I don't have a vin I can't register it and this means I cannot ride it on the road with the motor on.

I did a little research about the law here in california after the fact will be sure to take better precautions.

I would like to get a license plate for it but I am not sure it will be possible without the vin #

Im sure you guys have heard it a thousand times and the responses Ill get will be far from helpful due to this. Ill just research further.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If this is the bike in question;

...I think I see where you're going with the "suicide clutch" as with just a coaster brake, you've nothing else on the bars & it'd be nice to clean 'em up completely...

In my opinion it isn't relocating the clutch lever that's an issue - in operation these two stroke kit motors only need the clutch to come to a complete stop without stalling, so in a "panic" stop you really needn't take a hand off the bars in any case. Even though stop n'go stuff would be kind of a pain it really isn't a danger, it hasn't the oomph to launch into traffic & you needn't shift in a turn as you can't shift anyway... with a locking lever (stoplights etc) I don't see why it'd be partic a problem.

I think those opposing reactions are more relevant to the true tank shifter/rocker foot clutch multispeed setups, which were a bit sketchy TBH - but if we're worried about safety, it'd be the lack of a front brake on that bike the bigger concern & adding one would entail another lever, defeating the point of the "suicide clutch".

I don't think relocating a locking clutch on that bike would make it any more hazardous then riding w/just a coaster & that's usually what folks warn about... personally I'd add brakes instead as I ride too hard even for the ones I've got sometimes, but if you're going for the clean bar show bike weekend cruiser & know the brakes are not so hot I can see where that might be attractive.

Bear in mind folks warning is usually in good intent & if there's any lack of info, folks will tend to have to assume inexperience - and we do tend to get those without much/any bicycling experience, those that may underestimate a motorized bicycle & become a statistic fairly quickly. So folks err on the side of caution & there's enough new riders it becomes almost a mantra, hoping to spare some of the road rash we've all gotten or are bound to get.

An example - I often ride my ebike no hands with the cruise control set to floored, not a difficult "trick" by any means but kinda stupid & definitely dangerous. Not only would I not advise no-handed riding at even ebike speeds, I've long cautioned regarding the hazards of cruise control on motorcycles & cars, let alone motorized bicycles & if anyone asked how to install one, I'd prolly mention they can be dangerous too...

...but that doesn't mean I don't use one myself & even think it's kinda neat, I just can't help someone be as dumb as me & feel good about it lol, perhaps that helps with some of the replies you've gotten ;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A suicide clutch would look old school, cool RS. Very fitting on a MB. I think it would be a pain for stop lights/signs with traffic behind or waiting for you? Could ya pedal while operating it with enough force to get going?

Would look cool though, RS.

What about a faux one? I might try that. I'm a cruiser fan and really would look old world, MB cool.

Thats cool about Cali. Law. Sounds easy enough.

Welcome to the forum, again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about rigging up a jockey shift sorta lookin' "suicide clutch"?

Even more "dangerous", haha.

Most people confuse the two anyway.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At least then you wouldn't have to grow a third leg to operate a suicide clutch while trying to pedal to get going...

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Man... you hit it on the nail BarelyAWake

I kind of made myself forget about this thread because of the way if started but I really appreciate all the comments, advice and concerns.

I live in Echo Park/Silver Lake in LA.

Just dropped off the form and money order in the outgoing mailbox to get a plate Venice!

I was actually thinking that sometime next week I should attempt the longest ride I have had yet and it would be cool to ride from my place to Venice Beach. Ill shoot you a PM if I can take a day off of work if I could drop by bug you for a while. I have some vacation time I need to use before its too late.

Dan, I had not even considered the pain it could be at stop lights and what not. I think that if it was placed in the right place it could work well though. My bike has a very easy take off, barely need to pedal.

I added the left mirror today already and am waiting on a brighter headlight and a red rear light. have not looked into horns yet though. As far as brakes go, I just don't have the funds disk/drum brakes. I could get a front caliper brake bike the rear is a 24" wheel and to be honest don't have enough experience to know if I can fit some in there.

I would prefer to have hand brakes so much more, I have never owned a bike with coaster brakes and though I have no issues stopping what so ever it just does not feel natural.

I added some wire loom but its going to all come off of the handle bars and stay from the frame down. Love the bulkiness up top but don't lke it on the handle bars too much. see http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57295

BikeGuy Joe, a jockey shift style clutch is what I had in mind. I most definitely confused the two and have no interest in having the clutch be on my pedal.

Thanks again to everyone!

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
If you are just looking to clean up the bars why not a twist clutch with internal cable.
Exile cycles has a good design . One could scale it down .
A " suicide " or as we used to call them " mouse trap " clutch would require a set of floor boards or at the very least a set of fixed peg's.
I can't quite wrap my head around floor boards and pedals on the same machine.......
Nice bike , by the way. Verrrrrry cool..

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was just yesterday wondering about ya RS and what ya came up with. Glad to see ya still around and kicking.
Being legal helps make it more fun to ride!

==============================

Fascinating thought, Boxcar. Still wrapping me head around the possibilities.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
OK so as one who does have a side clutch, I love the how it looks. That being said, what a pain in the freak'n ass. Don't get me wrong, it's staying but man steep learning curve on this one. Try making a left turn at a four-way on a hill with a line of cars behind you. It's like trying to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time knowing if you bugger it up you might get run over.

I've been playing with the idea of adding over-lapping linkage to a handle bar leaver so as to keep the side shift but making riding in traffic a little less nuts.