Coaster brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
How many of you guy only use coaster breaks.I,m going the
cruiser route on my fist bike.I will most likely up grade in the
future.But this is a new deal for me & I do want to be able
to stop.duh.. Any advice you guys would help.

Fly dance1

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Re: Coaster breaks

I had only the coaster brake for the first couple spins in the neighborhood. Scared the bejesus outa me! I added a front caliper brake to take the fear factor out of my riding. I really should add a rear caliper, as I've already got the dual pull handle --- just haven't yet.

Stopping is more important than going.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Like I've said many times on the forum " it don't have to run but it HAS to stop"! At least add a front side pull brake, that's what I do. With good pads stopping from 30 mph is good.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I have ridden bikes my whole life and am as competent on a bike as anyone here.
I have ridden with only a coaster, but only if I have no choice, and I make sure I keep the speeds down.
I do not feel safe with only a coaster brake on a motorized bicycle.
Adding rim brakes is too easy not to do it.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma

OK here is my deal.I have not bought the bike yet, & this is where I REALLY
NEED YOU GUYS.I want to build a cruiser.People here say get a single speed.
That's what I been looking at.But if I get pull breaks with throttle on the right & mount
a pull break on the right, I have a clutch handle on the left & no where to mount the other pull break?????I know I,m not the only guy that has faced this.What to do??

Fly

Fly

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I simply run three levers. Clutch and rear brake on the left, front brake on the right.
Easy once you get used to it.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma

Well you guys are the best.I went ahead & ordered that two pull lever.Thats
a neat deal indeed & for $15 can't beat that.

Fly

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois

Yup! A coaster brake plus two rim brakes is a fine way to go. Good stopping power.

The only thing that I'd add is to watch that coaster brake and hub. Motorized bicycling seems to be harder on them than it is on a freewheel hub. No surprise, I guess. Coaster brake hubs are a bit more complex and they include a few parts that can easily get crushed.

I'd suggest you start looking right now for bikes with a single-speed hub in the garbage. So that you'll have some spare hub parts.

And take your hub apart (carefully) and put it back together (carefully). A few times, so that you'll know this stuff when you need it. Pack a bit of good grease in there while you're at it.

Carry cone wrenches and lock nut wrenches (11/16 or 17 mm, usually) in your tool kit. You don't want those cones backing off.

And you should clean and re-grease your hub often. With the change of seasons seems to be about right.

If this is new to you, then it might sound daunting. But it's not really all that hard.

And you want to be familiar with the parts inside that hub.

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.

Make sure to take the time to grease at least the wheel bearings on the bike you choose for your build.You should also grease the fork and crank bearings.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

A pair of C brakes on a single speed coaster brake bike work well and you still have a foot activated emergency brake, but I find using a 7-speed beach cruiser to be a better base.

Dual V brakes are better than dual C's, and mounting the drive sprocket is a breeze, on the Micargi Pantera 7S the sprocket practically centers itself on the hub and there is no coaster brake arm to remove first.

This particular bike also has horizontal dropout's so you don't even need a tensioner, just move the wheel back to adjust drive chain tension.

That does leave you with a shifter on the handlebars, no problem with a 1/2 grip twist shift, I put the shifter upside down on the left after the clutch lever and then use 1/2 a grip to the handlebar end.

One last thing you will like better is having gears for pedal help, especially for starting the thing ;-}