servicing a brand new drum?

GoldenMotor.com

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I am gearing up to build a custom rear wheel using a brand new moped drum hub. I have heard that new shoes take awhile to "bed in" so to speak. Now, I just recently serviced my Worksman drum, which had been squeaking badly and not stopping too good. I lightly sanded the drum and the shoes with 100 grit, and it doesn't squeal anymore at all, and the stopping power has also been greatly improved. So I wondered, would a new drum benefit from this type of service and thus avoid a lengthy period of breaking in? It makes sense to me when I think about it, but I wanted to get others' thoughts.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Run it a few miles to seat everything in good and inspect. Look for even wear across both shoes and shim or adjust as needed if uneven.
De-glazing is always a good idea when squealing or chatter is a problem or during normal service, but the material you sand off is lost forever so go easy.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
What I did with my Worksman drum was sand a little, then swab with alcohol and wipe dry so I could see what was glazed and what was de-glazed, and just continued the process until the shoe was entirely de-glazed. I just wondered if sanding new shoes would avoid having to break them in at all.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
From reading some car and truck forums, sanding new shoes helps to prevent glazing, so I'd say its worth the effort. The hub is going to be sitting for a little while anyway till I get the rest of the parts I need to build the wheel (drive sprocket, pedal freewheel, spokes, tire and tube), so I'll have plenty of time to rough it up a little. Seems like it would be a good/helpful thing to do.