Worksman Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Worksmans bikes. It sounds exactly what I am looking for, a no frills built sturdy basic bike that isn't going to fall apart. On their website they say some of the parts come from China but they all have to meet their requirements and all bikes are still assembled here. I know I could get a steel Schwinn or whatever for alot less but then am I going to pay the difference in upgrades anyway. Just looking for a sturdy basic bike that I can mount a four stroke on and be done. I know i know, we are never done!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a Worksman INB (Indian Hiawatha thread) and have also done builds with Vintage Schwinn straightbar (panther) and cantilever frames.
Both the Worksman and Panther have a similar frame design and "board tracker" early motorcycle look to them, which is very appealing to my eye. Without modification you will not be able to fit a four stroke in the Worksman frame. There isn't enough room. In fact, there is barely enough room to squeeze in a 2 stroke China girl motor. I had to change the front down tube on mine to accommodate a 98 cc Sachs engine. The Panther frame has enough room for a four stroke. Mine has a Hua Sheng (Honda clone) and EZ transmission and it is a tight, but doable fit without frame modification. Most room yet is with the Schwinn cantilever frame. If you go with a Worksman you will need to cut into that nice new paint job and add some frame in there. In the long run, I think you are as well off with a vintage Panther frame you don't have to modify and buy the HD wheels separately, maybe a suspension fork. There is also a difference in how the bikes sit... the Worksman feels smaller. If you're a big fellow the Panther will be a more comfortable fit. If you're looking to do a big four stroke, the 5 horse Briggs will fit into a Schwinn cantilever frame.
So the answer isn't really simple, but depends on what investment of time and money and energy you wish to make... how big you are and what you have in mind for an engine. It is well worth investigating first, starting off with the foundation bike that is right for you and going from there. No matter what you do to the wrong bike, it will probably still be wrong later on. What do you want the bike to do for you? Besides ringing your bells, is it to go really fast? To mostly be reliable? Need to climb hills? Do you like tweaking things frequently, or mostly do you just want to climb on and ride? All things to ask yourself. Good luck!
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
a 4 stroke will not fit into a worksman without cutting the frame. even with an HT you have to cut off the chain guard mount. i wasn't all that impressed with the worksman. they have heavy duty wheels and are made in new york but and old schwinn has more room. with the worksman all your getting is the name and wheels.

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for and I really appreciate it. I am now thinking that for less than half the money of a Worksman I can buy a 26" Schwinn Montclair from a big box store. It is a heavy, steel frame and any upgrades I do will probably still cost less than a Worksman, which I would still do some upgrades to anyway. Any other bikes along these lines I should consider?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I do believe the "old Schwinn" they were talking about is NOT one of the new Schwinns from a big box store. They are two entirely different bikes.

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
You would be correct. The Schwinn Panthers of the 40's, 50's, 60's? were steel framed bikes. The clean ones go for 8, 900 dollars and beyond on eBay. The current Panthers are Chineese aluminum frame built, from what I can tell, the big box stores like Wall Mart who probably sell them like chewing gum. Structural integrity aside, the new ones are similar in style as the old ones but don't have nearly the "look". I don't really care who makes the bike and where it comes from as long as it is a steel frame. Schwinn does make current steel framed bikes but what I am discovering is that not any one store carries them all.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I see you are from L.A. and a great place to find old schwinn frames is the Long Beach Motorcycle Swap meet...which just so happens to be today. Please try to not buy the current junk for the big stores.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Look for a "panther" frame on ebay to go for more like a hundred fifty bucks, not $900.00. Also, the straightbar frame which we commonly call "Panther" because it sounds fast and sexy, was the same frame for many models for many years. So, look for that frame and just the frame under 'Schwinn bicycle frame'. Why buy a paint job that's pretty good but will get changed anyway? Why buy wheels you'll replace? Same for the fork and seat (maybe not the seat which is a good one just needing some new padding and upholstery), but you catch my drift. Just look for the bare straight bar frame. That is your rock solid foundation for a great bike. A plus is that it is one of two bikes sportscarpat makes stainless steel in frame tanks for. The other is the Worksman. If you don't plan to go that route, there are other vintage, made in America when it meant something frames out there on ebay. There are a couple of nice builds going on right now on the forum using J.C,. Higgins frames... look very much like the Panther frame. Rollfast is another. Colson, Elgin... just some great bikes out there waiting to be made into something wonderful. Keep an open mind, but also insist on quality and forget $900.00. At some point you or someone you care about will be riding your build faster than is wise with a big smile and a lot of enjoyment. Get a good frame under you, some strong wheels, a reliable motor, good brakes and you will never regret the time and effort it took to make it right. My opinion anyway.
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
all the new big box store bikes are going to have an over sized down tube for a frame. the kit motor won't fit them, you'll need to make a mounting adapter for them. the older bikes have the right sized tube. you should be able to find an old frame cheap. just put the word out in your area that you'll take them and people will drop them off. i get a few frames a month from people just wanting to get rid of them, sure the chrome is rusty and the tins are long gone but it's still a free frame.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I've been looking for this information for over a month now. I finally found it and got all the info I need. Let the building begin!

Thanks guys