1927 & 1958 build

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Had this 1927 Briggs & Stratton and this 1958 rollfast bike sitting in the shop. This winter I merged them.
It has a kickstart & exposed valves. Had to build a reversing mechanisim to allow the kick start to be in the proper position.
Was well worth it. Runs fine & putts around the neighborhood fine.

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Nice!!

I've got one of those old engines that I haven't done anything with........yet.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WHOA ! Nice ! Dont know where to start with questions but Im thinking you may be the first one here with a LAY FRONT seatpost! Neat.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Unfortunately I took no build photos as I had no real plan In my head. Just built and sometimes re-built as I went along.

I stretched the frame 7" behind the tank, should have been only 5", to late now.

Once I get and learn how to use a camera or phone that takes video. I'll post some action vids!

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
No build pics were taken but here are a few post build-pics. It uses a slip belt clutch setup, controlled from the left hand grip. The output shaft is ccw thus the chain reverse mechanism.

Also uses an old spoon break setup, not very effective but this was only built for car shows & parades. You may have noticed that it is using a CHINA GIRL carb. Reduced the carb jet size to make it run properly.

Attachments

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I like the slip belt clutch, back when I was a kid in the late 1950's we built a motor bicycle using the same principle. It was no speed demon, but living miles from nowhere on a ranch in west Texas it provided transportation. My uncle came up with the idea, he called an idler arm clutch.