a note to coaster brake users

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got a bike in for repair that was one of the poorest jobs of building I've seen in quite a while - along with several other errors, he just left the brake arm off instead of bending it to clear sprocket bolts

went to take it apart and realized he had been using the brakes without that arm and the force of braking (probably several thousand pounds at the cone nut) had practically welded the cone nut to its lock nut and to the dropout of the frame

pulled a muscle in my rib cage getting that POS loose

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You'd be surprised what some people can do. Never been a fan of blanket statements.
I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. :(

Sure, there are plenty of new guys with good mechanical skills (& common sense) who do just fine... but the fact is that the majority don't.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i admit it, i was a total noob when i started on my first bike. but i did read everything i could find on them for 3 solid months BEFORE i started ordering stuff. i knew what to look for, and (some of) what to avoid. i had an overall plan, THEN i started working on it.

i personally know people who "literally" can't point out the spark plug, but they still say they are going to build one next week... and it will be far better than all of my bikes... combined... LOL

IMO, mechanical inclination and a good grasp of basic tools is a must have. there are always places like this, with people willing to help. but they (we) can't do it for you. it's just like grade school, you have to do your own homework.

IF, you run into a problem, all you have to do is ask, and learn from people who know what a spark plug is.

Motor_Burner

Jul 2, 2017
IF, you run into a problem, all you have to do is ask, and learn from people who know what a spark plug is.
This thing you call a spark plug, is it inside the motor like the piston return springs? Or does it work like blinker fluid in a car?

Honestly, i like the coaster brake but am gonna upgrade to disc as soon as i get enough money for parts and a back rim...

Don't forget, you might hurt someones feelings, welding that nut on holds better than a stuipid brake arm :D

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
"My God, man!! At least use Shimano internals!"

Dr. Leonard McCoy

( Bet you used his Star Trek voice............go ahead and admit it! LOL)