Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
She is Sithunzi (shadow)

Isithunzi (6 of 6).jpg

Isithunzi (5 of 6).jpg

Sithunzi 2.jpg

Isithunzi (1 of 6).jpg

isithunzi.jpg

still along ways to go, but stage 1 is almost done. cable clean up is on the short list, and then shift kit, seat, forks

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well that's just great. I've got the feeling that when we get together for a ride, I'm going to be the ugly cousin. I've been thinking about naming my bike The Rattler, because that's mostly what it does.

.duh.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
thats a great name Chaz, has heart. this is a toy for me, and not a necessary transport. so I have a plans on what I like her to be for her first "finished", we'll see from there. rolled the handlebars towards me now, looks better and is quite comfortable to ride. how well she holds together we'll see, all of these are rattlers to some degree I would think. I've been surprised when going over all the bolts and screws at how they are holding together so far.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
well Chaz if I remember correctly that weekend didn't produce much fish, but I'm sure you've been out again since.

I had my first near ditching last night, still breaking in so I was cruising at 30 kph (about 19mph) when the front tire went out sideways coming out of a patched road section. my right foot went to the ground and made good contact which stabilized me to pull out of it. the flat foot frame design gave me a good solid foot with out the bike leaning at all yet, I think that saved me.

besides that I am really happy with the bike choice. I am changing almost everything out, but I love the riding comfort of the frame design. I will see how the frame holds up over time, so for she's doing well.

right now I am running a home jobbie exhaust. I took my two broken mufflers, and used the pipe from one and the can from the other with some flex tube connecting in the middle. I have the pipe and the can each secured to it's own 1" threaded coupling with gobs of the strongest jb. not the high temp stuff, originally it was just a mock up with the straps in place to hold it when it let go. if I'm happy with it then I get it welded. but so far it's still solid, longest run was probably about 45 minutes or so. I love how it looks, just not sure about the performance aspect. and it's a little loud, I do have the stinger in the can cut down and extra holes in the end cap. I also learned not to brace it firmly, so both straps just hold up the weight and have lots of play.

also new pedals installed, townie back rack, and a center kickstand (loving that too). also working on the choke set up for a dakar version of the sha clone carb. some shots.

20150917_104022_resized.jpg

20150917_104032_resized.jpg

20150916_150024_resized.jpg

20150916_145956_resized.jpg

still coming;
handlebars (major pain to find flat halfmoon bars that turn straight back, have to compromise on this one)
fenders (have to order from germany as I cant find them anywhere else)
tool bag
saddle
better lights
new tires (different widths but matching tread)
suspension forks (given up on springers for this frame, thats a con)

longer term
jackshaft
custom gas tank (maybe)

she has good low end power up to 30 kph and is smooth, then vibrates going from 32 to 35ish rather harshly (Legwon believes it to be the crank after taking it for a spin) it then smooths out again. running on flat start to finish tops out around 42 kph and is very smooth, coming off a hill it will hold at 50 kph. but I'm still breaking in wot is about 10 to 15 seconds at a time with long stretches between.

so so far I am loving the townie as a motorized bike. and much thanks to the forum here and Legwon for all the help.

Last edited: