Indiana registration

GoldenMotor.com

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
I'm ready to register right now, but I'm clueless as to how to produce a title for a bicycle.

Last edited:

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Its a 66cc china girl, but it will be a 48cc engine when its inspected.
I just spent 1/2 hour at bmv. Dispite showing them that page, they still believe that motorized bikes ate exempt, which we know darn well is wrong.

I guess I'll have to get pulled over first. This is incredibly stupid. For the bmv, thats SOP

Last edited:

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Use the serial number off the bike frame, you got a pic of ya bike your registering?

Is there a serial number on the china girl, from what I've read that's can be used as a VIN as well.

ryusei139

Sep 9, 2014
Muncie, Indiana
Sorry I have been away guys. It was the easiest experience ever. Finally got the class b plate. If your bike is old, then the Vin doesn't have to have 17 digits. I was in and out in less than one hour. Even then if it is 17 they don't know lol ;-)

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
My sheriff and my local bmv told me I'd have to get a build title.

Can you give me the details on it? And what do you mean about if your bike is old and the seventeen digit thing?

I soo don't wanna do a build title process.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
HI all i was browsing the web and found a website from a bike shop in Indy that's selling electric bicycles. so i called the shop and ask how the new scooter law affected the electric bicycle?

His reply was, it did not affect the electric bicycles, no plates, no registration ect.

I looked at the specs all were 500 watts and had Rear hub/throttle control and pedal assist PAS/TAG+ introduces cadence-sensitive pedal assist technology with on off switch. pedal assist or twist and go. had to look that one up lol.

the new scooter law said nothing about electric bikes

now federal law is electric bicycle 750 watt max (= one hp) 20 mph top speed

so could the be an electric bike in your future

Don P

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
i stopped in Indiana BMV today and ask about Electric Bicycle laws.
and they confirmed that you do not need to register a electric bicycle.

there are no electric bicycle laws for them any more just regular bicycle laws.

but we talked for a bit and i ask her now if i want to go 35 mph? she said you do not need to register as b scooter but to keep from getting crap from cop's and possible visit to court, she would get a vin and register and cops won't mess with you.

so if you stay under 20 25 mph you good.

Don P

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Bumping this thread to ask a question. Would anyone here know about required equipment and construction for titling and registering motor driven cycles, A & B classes? I know you need a headlight that meets requirements, and a tail light, and a light to illuminate the rear license plate.

What I also would like to know is:
- Is an "automatic transmission" a requirement?
- Any requirements regarding how the engine is started?
- Brake light required? (I already have one, but I'd like to know anyway)
- Turn signals required? (I plan to have some)
- Horn required?
- How many reflectors are required?
- Are there any other "musts" I have overlooked regarding equipment and construction?
Thanks in advance for any advice from those who've gone before. I've done quite a bit of my own digging, but the info has been hard to come by, and conflicts in some sites or is hard to understand.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
The hayseeds at BMV are clueless about these laws. I've been going back and forth with these bumpkins for two months.
I believe illegal is easier and recommend it.

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
If you have a VIN on your motor, use it. If you have a VIN on your frame use it (its usally on the bottom of your bottom bracket). If you make up numbers and letters, use it. That is how I understand the law....

However it your bike is regestered, and if it ever gets stolen, then its possible that the bike could be returned to you, with or with out dammages.

Just my 2 cents

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I have a title and certificate of origin for these bikes..these dip****s here can't figure out where to place the bikes so they won't do it....and that includes their legal dept in Indy.
I'll just do it illegally now as a scooter or moped. Btw these are titled whizzers.