Welcome Dan to the world of Whizzers

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Working the bugs out of Dan's Whizzer. The Tillotson carburetor float sunk in a week, so I soldered up a hole. Another few days, another hole. After soldering several times, we decided to change floats. I found a later style plastic float in an old E2A carb off a Lauson engine I had in my junk box and it fit nicely. Problem solved. Now the gas cap oozes and is starting to mess up his new paint. After trying a few caps, we made a gasket from an old bicycle tube. Knowing it wouldn't last, Dan ordered some Viton sheet material from McMasterCarr. Then he made a punch to make a perfect fitting gasket. The new seal along with filing the tank mouth flatter did the trick.

I know I said my Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer was next in line, but we decided to put my green and white Whizzer back on the road first. It needs some engine work and I also want to change the bars and update the controls and cables, fit the fenders a little better, etc. I'll keep the progress going and still plan a trip to Donut Derelicts soon.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Dang Dale, that green bike is so wonderfully vintage! I am so glad you are bringing back to life.

Are you able to keep the paint job? It looks very pleasing to the eye.

From the references on this site of Bairdco, you seem to have a rather extensive fleet. I would love to see the rest of your treasures.

I am very glad that you are a contributing member of this site.

Thank you,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Gilbert. I'll eventually post photos of all my junk as I work on them. But if you would like to stop by for a visit, you're more than welcome. I collect a lot more than motor bikes. Bring your cool cruiser and we'll go for a ride.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Dang Dale, that green bike is so wonderfully vintage! I am so glad you are bringing back to life.

Are you able to keep the paint job? It looks very pleasing to the eye.

From the references on this site of Bairdco, you seem to have a rather extensive fleet. I would love to see the rest of your treasures.

I am very glad that you are a contributing member of this site.

Thank you,

Gilbert
Yeah, I think I can save the paint. It's just an older rattle can restoration, but it has great patina.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks Gilbert. I'll eventually post photos of all my junk as I work on them. But if you would like to stop by for a visit, you're more than welcome. I collect a lot more than motor bikes. Bring your cool cruiser and we'll go for a ride.
Thanks for the offer Dale, I will gladly take you up on that. I'll figure out when I'll have some time on a weekend, then I'll pm you. Going for a ride will be a wonderful bonus. That donut derelict thing sounds fun, but it's super early in the morning, huh?

See you Dale,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes Gilbert, the cars start showing up as early as 5:00 a.m. every Saturday, but I usually head over between 6 and 7. It's only 6 miles and a couple of hours offers plenty to see.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Working the bugs out of Dan's Whizzer. The Tillotson carburetor float sunk in a week, so I soldered up a hole. Another few days, another hole. After soldering several times, we decided to change floats. I found a later style plastic float in an old E2A carb off a Lauson engine I had in my junk box and it fit nicely. Problem solved. Now the gas cap oozes and is starting to mess up his new paint. After trying a few caps, we made a gasket from an old bicycle tube. Knowing it wouldn't last, Dan ordered some Viton sheet material from McMasterCarr. Then he made a punch to make a perfect fitting gasket. The new seal along with filing the tank mouth flatter did the trick.

I know I said my Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer was next in line, but we decided to put my green and white Whizzer back on the road first. It needs some engine work and I also want to change the bars and update the controls and cables, fit the fenders a little better, etc. I'll keep the progress going and still plan a trip to Donut Derelicts soon.

Dale your green bike is nice, I also like your exhaust pipe too.
Is it stainless steel?

Thanks,
Ray

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Dan rode his Whizzer to the donut shop and then took it to the Vintage Motorcycle Meet at Beach Burgers. Didn't win but he'll try again.

Now that we've got most of the bugs worked out and has shown it off for a while, I can get back on my Whizzer projects.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
After a year of riding his Whizzer, Dan has had enough of belt adjusting. So I drug out my box of Whizzer autoclutch pieces to inventory. I bought some junk clutches for the parts. The housing is the weak point on these and being cast from pot metal or some other sub standard metal, they break real easy.

Dan bought a chunk of aluminum and made himself a new housing and put all the good parts inside. Now he has a nice automatic clutch. We still have to install it on the bike and make some belt changes.

Once we make sure it works as it should, I have enough parts for him to make me one for my green Whizzer or maybe my Cycletruck. But after 18 or so hours of machine work, he's in no hurry.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Here's a photo of the clutch on the bike. He's real happy with it. He has since made a smaller pulley for the final drive side and we fitted another belt to it today. Everything went smooth.