Filling out a reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeahhh.. Got my plate today,like you said neiljams..wow that went fast. A big thx to you members who post how to's. I followed what you said money ordered that baby off and just mounted my plate! Now to put a 12 volt system on instead of the brake,blinker,horn in one,can't see in the daylite thing I have now. Again thx guys for making my life better through this forum.;-)

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Yeahhh.. Got my plate today,like you said neiljams..wow that went fast. A big thx to you members who post how to's. I followed what you said money ordered that baby off and just mounted my plate! Now to put a 12 volt system on instead of the brake,blinker,horn in one,can't see in the daylite thing I have now. Again thx guys for making my life better through this forum.;-)
That's what I'm working on doing as well. From what I've read on some threads about it, powersonic has a pretty good selection of rechargeable 12v batteries for like 20bucks. zpt

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
And people from other states always knocking California. SURE DMV is gonna get the money, But then they let ya put a 4hp motor on a bicycle and ride like the wind. California aint hard to live in, Ya just gotta cross yer t's and dot yer I's.
Glad we could help out.
fatdaddy.usflg

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
And people from other states always knocking California. SURE DMV is gonna get the money, But then they let ya put a 4hp motor on a bicycle and ride like the wind. California aint hard to live in, Ya just gotta cross yer t's and dot yer I's.
Glad we could help out.
fatdaddy.usflg
Sure isn't hard at all. Got pulled over today by some park rangers after riding on a "bike path" that basically just connected two adjacent parking lots. They started by saying these things are illegal, but then I pulled out my MAGIC DMV PAPERWORK and showed them what the law really was. "Sir, here is V.C.406, part (b) applies to electric bikes and here is part (a): under 4hp, check, auto trans, check, bla blah." He took my license and the papers to check it out, then I said, "wait a minute, 3rd page here is the registration form I mailed to DMV to get my plate, frame numbers and everything checks out". As they were pullin me over my chainring BB bolt fell out and the chainring and chain fell off the JS, so I was looking for the screw. I asked if they had some tools, like a ratchet/driver set, the lady ranger pulled a set out and said which one do you need.. I said.. well it looks like a 13 or 14mm.. so if you have 9/16".. tried it and it fit perfect. Used it to swap the bolt from the left crank arm over to the right.. hoping the taper was holding the left one on well (it held to my home).

The ranger came back and said he'd give me a warning.. then he said, "1980 Schwinn??" He said he was giving me a warning (free, not a ticket) because I had the V.C.406 with me, copy of registration application, and was wearing a helmet".

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
unless otherwise posted, you can ride it wherever a regular pedal bike is allowed. BUT why argue with some cop if he's just gonna let ya go. Being RIGHT isn't always the right thing to do.
fatdaddy.usflg

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
unless otherwise posted, you can ride it wherever a regular pedal bike is allowed. BUT why argue with some cop if he's just gonna let ya go. Being RIGHT isn't always the right thing to do.
fatdaddy.usflg

V C Section 21207.5 Motorized Bicycles Prohibited Operation

V C Section 21209 Motor Vehicles and Motorized Bicycles in Bicycle Lanes Yes, bicycle lanes are ok (part d).

and then V C Section 21230 Operation of Motorized Scooters Local Regulation of Bicycle Paths Trails or Bikeways Probably doesn't apply to MBs.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
If there is a different VC section that proves otherwise please post it. I was hoping I would find it upon reading your comment and add it to the paperwork I carry with me, but got the bad news instead :(

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
If there is a different VC section that proves otherwise please post it. I was hoping I would find it upon reading your comment and add it to the paperwork I carry with me, but got the bad news instead :(
Like I said, Unless otherwise posted. If there's an ord. against it, IT will probably be posted. You've seen the signs before, usually something like, NO skateboards, motorized vehicles or motor driven cycles allowed. If theres a local ord. against it, it will probably be posted. but always a good idea to look up the ord. that controls that particular pathway. I bet threre's a sign somewhere along that path with a ord. number on it.
fatdaddy.usflg

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I was wondering if it might be best to be very vague about engine numbers or bike serial numbers, doing so might make moving the plate from one bike to another or to replace an engine, easier, no?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I was wondering if it might be best to be very vague about engine numbers or bike serial numbers, doing so might make moving the plate from one bike to another or to replace an engine, easier, no?
Yea it might, but if it gets stolen good luck proving your numbers.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
And if a cop ever actually checks the numbers and they don't match, you might have a problem. Get the numbers RIGHT!!! The plates are only $19 each. Why bother with trying to switch to another bike.
fatdaddy.usflg

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The plate is either 20 or 21. I just got my plate. It says Amount Due: 21, paid chck 20, ADJUST-UNDER 1.00

I dunno what that means, does it mean I owe them a dollar? They sent the plate so it must be OK.

The other problem guys, is the back of the registration form says I need to have proof of financial responsibility (insurance). Which I do not have. I really hope they don't nail me for that, cause driving without insurance is worse than driving without a license.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The plate is either 20 or 21. I just got my plate. It says Amount Due: 21, paid chck 20, ADJUST-UNDER 1.00

I dunno what that means, does it mean I owe them a dollar? They sent the plate so it must be OK.

The other problem guys, is the back of the registration form says I need to have proof of financial responsibility (insurance). Which I do not have. I really hope they don't nail me for that, cause driving without insurance is worse than driving without a license.
It's $21 now as it goes up a $1 every year.
They never update the DMV website so it still says $18

Did you pick up the form at the DMV?
I have never seen the back of the form because I print it off the website.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It's $21 now as it goes up a $1 every year.
They never update the DMV website so it still says $18

Did you pick up the form at the DMV?
I have never seen the back of the form because I print it off the website.
Guess I will have to give them a call. Sent a check for $20 with the registration application by regular mail and got my plate in under two weeks in the mail with my registration document. I will post the document I got later.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The whole reason I did this was so I could avoid my current super high car insurance rate of just over $400 per month for full coverage. Since it is technically registered like a moped we might have to get moped insurance.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I find nothing in the DMV website that says you MUST have insurance, All it says is you should contact your Ins. provider to see if they will cover you. You "should" is NOT you "MUST". I've been going through the DMV site for years and have never seen anywhere that that says insurance is required. A good idea, of course, but not required. If anyone can find something different, let me know and I'll add it to my long list of M.B. regs. I've acquired over the years.
fatdaddy.usflg
P.S. The cops Never ask for insurance.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The form says I can carry a copy, so I copied only the front and not the back. Hopefully they won't ask :eek:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The whole reason I did this was so I could avoid my current super high car insurance rate of just over $400 per month for full coverage. Since it is technically registered like a moped we might have to get moped insurance.
You must be a very bad boy.

I pay $400 / yr for car insurance and $550 / yr for four (4) motorcycles.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
"California vehicle code section 24016 (b,) subdivision3: A person operating a motorized bicycle is NOT subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle."

Now here's the catch. Although the code is written for both 406a (electric) and 406b (gas) it doesn't seperate the two. Other VC sections pertaining to gas powered bikes override the the registration, license, and it not being a "motorized vehicle."

But according to the cops I've talked to, there is no VC that says a gas powered bike HAS to have insurance.

It appears that when that section was written in 1995, they forgot to make that distinction.

So, legally, you don't need insurance.

But for a gas bike, you do need at least an M2 license (or permit,) a DOT helmet, registration, license plate, headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, and left mirror.