Great Mtn Bike for Motorizing

GoldenMotor.com

Dryani

Jan 9, 2011
Washington State
The guys on here have been helpful, so I thought I'd contribute.

I checked virtually every shop around (West Washington, USA) and found only ONE bike that is truly plug and play.

This bike is the Magna Great Divide, and I got it for $100 at Target.

It required no frame drilling, but you WILL want to buy a smaller sprocket so that the chain clears the back part of the frame (you'll want a smaller sprocket for speed anyway). I recommend a 32tooth sprocket from kings sales and service.

SPECIAL STEPS: (For building from a kit)
Take the brake levers and throw them away. They are the cheapest parts on the bike. The rest of the bike appears to be higher quality.

Take the front derailleur (by the pedals) and disconnect it from the shifter cable, then remove the shifter from the handle bar. You will be able to shift the front sprocket manually when you are stopped, but will likely not need to. The reason for this is that this bike uses grip shifts, and you need 1 handle open for the throttle.

Buy a fuel line from an auto parts store - it will only be about $2. The size is 3/16 inch. You can use the fuel line that comes with the kit, but it will wear out quicker and you will need to boil the ends in water to soften them up before attachment.

SPEED:
So far I am getting about 32mph on level ground, and I weigh 142 pounds. I suspect this speed will increase once I finish breaking in the engine and switch to a higher gas to oil ratio. I'm also adding a couple performance parts that should add a few more mph - my goal is to get my max speed to around 40.

QUESTIONS:
Just respond to this thread with any questions. I will receive an e-mail and respond here.

- Justin

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
I dunno.....according to the customer reviews this isn't even that good a bike for peddling, let alone motorizing.
+1

Unless you get all new custom parts for it. I don't think it will hold up to the stress of motorbicycling. You can go for it, but it'll probably last you a season before having to repair it top to bottom. The first things to go will probably be your spokes, since the single speed drive sprocket is directly attached to it.

mezzenger

Nov 15, 2015
Winchester, VA USA
www.facebook.com
The guys on here have been helpful, so I thought I'd contribute.

I checked virtually every shop around (West Washington, USA) and found only ONE bike that is truly plug and play.

This bike is the Magna Great Divide, and I got it for $100 at Target.

It required no frame drilling, but you WILL want to buy a smaller sprocket so that the chain clears the back part of the frame (you'll want a smaller sprocket for speed anyway). I recommend a 32tooth sprocket from kings sales and service.

SPECIAL STEPS: (For building from a kit)
Take the brake levers and throw them away. They are the cheapest parts on the bike. The rest of the bike appears to be higher quality.

Take the front derailleur (by the pedals) and disconnect it from the shifter cable, then remove the shifter from the handle bar. You will be able to shift the front sprocket manually when you are stopped, but will likely not need to. The reason for this is that this bike uses grip shifts, and you need 1 handle open for the throttle.

Buy a fuel line from an auto parts store - it will only be about $2. The size is 3/16 inch. You can use the fuel line that comes with the kit, but it will wear out quicker and you will need to boil the ends in water to soften them up before attachment.

SPEED:
So far I am getting about 32mph on level ground, and I weigh 142 pounds. I suspect this speed will increase once I finish breaking in the engine and switch to a higher gas to oil ratio. I'm also adding a couple performance parts that should add a few more mph - my goal is to get my max speed to around 40.

QUESTIONS:
Just respond to this thread with any questions. I will receive an e-mail and respond here.

- Justin
So, how well did this bike hold up?