Fantom29

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Alex DX32 26" will be the rims.
I wanted to run the new 650b+3.0 specialized ground control, but you have to buy the bike to get the tires right now (was looking at a bike at the LBS...nice)...so 26x3 duros, I hope will fit.
Also the 650 rims are not cheap...I will wait...let the fad begin.
I had the Duros from the fat bike experiment.
Wanted a little more flotation than the 2.3" ground control I run now.

Looks like I should be able to jam a 3.0 in this 29er.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
This Fantom29 is a nice frame...but they sent the wrong fork, a Recon with standard 9mm QR axle.
Finally, after a half dozen emails I received the Reba that was in the original sale description.

Now I built up the hub/wheel and guess what it is not a 110x15 axle!
Think I will shoot myself in the head now. F'in thought I even measured it...(that is a figure of speech, for all you literals).
100x15 REBA...GHAAAAAAAAAAAA! pulls out hair.

WOW what a moron.

Anyone need a 110x15mm front hub?
Or a cat...some stray hunter cat showed up yesterday.
Just some new cat to the area, not a stray, looks like it belongs next door.
Friendliest cat ever.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Man this stuff is not just where you are its pretty much everywhere. Its the way of the 21st century world. I learned a long time ago to retreat to the sticks. Problem was the Metro finally found the sticks. Where I am now is perfect. Small coastal town with great people. No body is in a real hurry. Speed limit 35. Rush hour is 5min long. Most of the time you could roll stop signs if you wanted. 2 miles to the west the people on I-95 just speed by at 80+ thankfully oblivious that we exist here. I hope it lasts!

I get blind sided all the time by missing details on part purchases. I don't ever return stuff-too much trouble. I don't worry about it either, I just throw it into a future build box and build around it later. I guess there is an upside--I have enough stuff for many future bike builds.

Anyway LC RELAX and stroke the kitty!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Took a 9 hour drive on Monday, Eastern Oregon. Helped just to get out...away from town.

You get 35 miles out of town and people start waving at you just driving down the highway, I REALLY need to get out of here.
It is making me even more crazy than I allready am.

Hope the crazies just keep driving by you CB2.

And the weird things you come across...
Shoe tree.

"A bunch of old souls just hanging around." the sign said, on the tree.
Middle of nowhere.
Don't know how many shoes are on that tree...but there are a ton.

Cat came in the house today like it owned the place...great, just what I don't need.

...And aren't I something, i want to move forward but live in the past...what a fool I am.

Edited the krazy out

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Glad you got out a bit for a breather LC. Dust off your KLX300 and meet me some where in the middle of the country. Nothing clears the head like a long motorcycle ride, BUT only if you ride the back roads. Ive been thinking about a long ride.

Shoe tree is too cool! My wife loved it too! For thirty years I threw worn out v belts and bike tires into a tree in my back pasture. Thought it would be cool for people years down the road to try to figure out what the heck and why. I love whimsical stuff like that. Has to lift your spirits.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Glad you checked back in LC, have been keeping up with Paladin.

You build the coolest bikes! Its ashamed you aren't selling similar. Id buy one in a heart beat. That thing is just plain Bad A$$!!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
At first it was stealth and bike frame mounting issues.

I soon learned that even if you are sneaky you are still going to fast to be just pedaling, so sneaky went out the window.

Also it was not FUN enough, that FSX, I like to ride 20mph+.
With a bit of low end torque in the bike.

Then I realized I liked the weight on my back more than the bike.

Now its mostly the fact that the bike is lighter and more nimble.
8lbs in the pack balances every thing nicely.
Also the BIKE looks better, more like a bike and not some krazy slapped together idea.

That's just me.
I like the mad max style stuff... but I will modify it and upgrade it to suit my personal tastes.