what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The bed frame rails were too tough to cut, to fab motor mounts.. Instead, I'm using .75"×.75"×.125" angle iron.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
been almost 3 months since I rode my own bike due to weather and riding customer bikes - carb was full of crap & petcock leaked

may have been rubber in petcock dissolving in fuel and getting thru the filter before turning to sludge in carb

fixed all and now it seems lacking power and feeling lean - raised needle higher than ever before on NT style carb and still acts like air leak

I'm thinking base or case gasket has dried out - will have to load it on bench and spray a bit while running tomorrow, but wondering if after 5 years on a motor that came in used from a wrecked bike, maybe it is just wearing out.

mike carter 2

Nov 23, 2011
west virgina
hi 57,my name is mike.ive been following your build.very cool.i have been building mud buggys and rockcrawlers for a very long time and i love to fab stuff from steal.i have tried many times to use bed rails to make things,ie. battery trays,gas tank mounts ...never with success.the steel is way to brittle and brakes at the welds.i think that the metal tempers even more and becomes brittle.sorry about that,almost forgot.started a new build.a 24 inch crusier,im trying to go full suspension.im cutting up old mountian bikes ,trying to use the mono shock and swing arm

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hi Mike. I'm Myron. Thanks for the heads up on bed rails; I'll remember your tip.
The .75" angle iron I used is WAY lighter, but not as tough as the 1.5" angle iron I thought of using. Drilling eight M6 holes MIGHT weaken the mounts.
Sooo, I'll be welding 4"X5"X.125" steel plates as reinforcement, then drilling engine mounts.
Do you think the engine plates will help maintain the angle iron mounts' integrity?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
mikecarter2, I think adding full suspension on a cruiser bike is awesome. Aside from my engine(s), my front suspension fork is what I like best on my ride(s).

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Got to be careful with full suspension builds, pivot has to be right. Or you will have chain troubles, coming off with to much chain slack................Curt

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
tightened head bolts (not really loose, but maybe down to 8lb) - checked compression and it was a bit higher than normal - returned needle to normal position

started motor and sprayed around looking for leaks, found none

rode a bit and seemed much better, but maybe not quite right - did put new plug in, but not sure why it got better

didn't ride it much as gas tank twisted over and peed on my leg - maybe tomorrow I'll try again after I do a couple customer bikes

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
Not much on mine. Got mine out hung it up to check it over found a few spots where I didn't get full coverage of base coat on the inside of the rails so did some touch up will blend in with some clear coat afterwards.

Aside from that cant put my headset together here as it was damaged in shipping. Hopefully Bicycle-Engines will send me a replacement set considering the bearing is bent to **** and one thin plastic ring is split on the side.

TheGeneral1

Jun 11, 2017
Still waiting on the centrifugal clutch I ordered for my new bike I can't wait to get riding again. I need to do some research on sprocket ratios to get the most out of my 99cc's .. so can anyone tell me the best way to get a tad more bottom end power?? ..I have an 11tooth clutch sprocket on a 5\8 drive shaft going to 13 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft to a 62 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel. Thanks

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey General aren't you leaving out one gear? It all depends on the sprockets that are available, if the jackshaft sprockets are the same a bigger rear wheel sprocket will give more bottom end, a smaller clutch sprocket does the same.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Like Greg mentioned, you omitted the second jackshaft sprocket.
The cheapest way to gain more low end is to change the 13t to a 15t or larger sprocket.

Installed a header/muffler for a 79 cc predator I bought from nationwide accessories on EBAY today. It was real quiet----to quiet. Took it out for a test ride. Top speed was reduced from 40 MPH to 28 MPH. Came home and ripped the guts out of it and drilled out the hole in the end cap to one inch. Now its back to its 40 Mph top speed and it has a nice mellow tone.

ReggieB

Jun 8, 2017
Adjusted the angle of the FD unit ( am forever doing that). Sat and looked, thinked, had another beer, thinked some more and hopefully get some ideas as to mounting a generator. Other than that a quick trip to AutoZone after an hour long ride. Gotta love this hobby/lifestyle.