2nd Annual Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise 2016

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Rode about 80% of the route today. Had to cut it a bit short due to a rivet falling out of my bipod kickstand, but ended up being a 68 mile ride. Couldnt have asked for a nicer day and the route is smooth with minimal traffic. Butts a bit sore but not too bad.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know.....I wonder if I actually could ride 77 miles in one day.

I'm sore just thinking about it.

I think I'll make it there, all the same. But I might have to do some creative route editing.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
You know.....I wonder if I actually could ride 77 miles in one day.

I'm sore just thinking about it.

I think I'll make it there, all the same. But I might have to do some creative route editing.
Nothing to say we have to go whole route or not take a few short cuts if needed. The main thing is that we just have an enjoyable fun ride and have the option for about as short or long of a ride we feel like taking. Don't want anyone going home feeling worse then when they came. Also don't want this to be an endurance challenge...just want to have the option there to be able to cruise as long as we feel like riding.

There would also be several planned stops along the way to break up the ride where we can spend as much or as little time as we want shootin the breeze, stretching, etc.

Our ride this last June we were a bit hurried because we were trying to get our ride in before it started raining, but hopefully next year we will have a nice day where we can take more time to do more pitt stops and do some chit chatting along the route.

A non stop ride of 70 miles would be brutal and for me darn near impossible, but if there were designated stops about every 10 miles with plenty of time given to stretch and move about for a bit...it would make the ride much more doable for sure.

If one thinks about riding 25 mph for 70 miles on a straight stretch of Highway...that actually sounds kinda daunting. However when you have 8 or 9 little towns and various landmarks along the route to break things up...it really seams much shorter and goes by quicker then you think. Also when doing a big circle like the route I have mapped out...you are never actually any more then 15 to 20 miles from where you started at almost any time along the route. Works out well if you decide to make the ride shorter that you don't have to backtrack a bunch of miles. You can just turn towards the starting location and be back there in a fair amount of time without have to backtrack.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Still planning on it!!

Think that Tom wants some of us to meet up and 'convoy' for the last part of the trip to the event.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'll make sure tomorrow to request that day off. I don't anticipate trouble on that. June 11, 2016.

Back in January I bought my wife a little Honda scooter. So she'll likely be wanting to come along, too, now that she'll have something to ride.

I suppose I'll have a new bike. I'm building one right now and I'd be surprised if it's not ready by then. It would be pretty lame if it wasn't.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looking forward to seeing both you and your wifes new wheels. Going to be a fun ride I am certain. I have a nice smooth and low traffic route planned with several pit stops along the way so as to be able to socialize, stretch, take photos/vid, snack, fuel etc. etc..

Four of the five small towns we will go thru have small parks where we can stop to rest for as long as needed and two of the five towns have gas stations we can stop as well. I have shaved the route down to an estimated 60 miles round trip. 50-60 miles is a pretty nice day cruise in my opinion. Get much over that....it might get a little grueling on the backside. My brother and I have done around 70 miles in a single ride and that can start to wear on you if you don't take long pits along the way. So I think if we keep it around the 50/60 mile round trip....that shouldn't be too bad. Our trip last year was near 50 miles round trip I believe and that was pretty enjoyable and not too grueling. There is no back tracking in this route, so you will never see the same scenery twice.

Just hoping the weather is fantastic so we are really able to take our time and soak up the nice day. Only four months to go!!!!!!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
We could also consider doing this route .
http://mapq.st/1QnSnKV

This route adds two more towns to the ride and is only about 7 miles longer at 58 miles total round trip. That way we each can say we road thru 8 different towns. Of course..most of these towns are very small and you may miss them if you blink while driving thru, but they are towns non the less.

Just throwing a few different options out there to consider the day of the event.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Greg

I did not input any mph calculations into the route...so the time to complete the route according to mapquest is not accurate.
I would say the most common cruising speed we do out on the open blacktops is between 25-30mph. Sometimes we will run a bit above that for short burst but in town we usually try to abide to around 20mph max.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
To ad to my last post I would say the estimated time it would take for us to do the 50-60 mile round trip would be around 2 hours nonstop. Once you throw around five or six pit stops in there averaging around 20 minutes each....we are talking about a four hour cruise roughly figured. I think that's sorta close to about what our cruise was last year in June, but we took rather short breaks because we were trying to make it back before the rain started falling.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Jordan
I have one of those gallon tanks on mine. Man that thing seems to go forever on a tank of fuel. On your bike a gallon might get you around the block.lol
laff
Half gallon tank isn't going to cut it! Going to just need to drive behind you guys! We might have to make a pit stop for me to top off!