Just joined from Texas

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
Well I just joined. Slow day at work today had me looking into this most of the day. I wouldn't have if it wasn't for me browsing Jay leno`s garage on youtube and seeing the California based company building engine powered bicycles that got me into looking at this.

Still want to build one but seems some people here in the states are having trouble with getting tickets and being harassed.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!

Texas seems to be a state that leaves most of the members alone --- as long as you're not being stupid. Here in OKC, the cops just wave as you buzz by.

Best of luck in your upcoming adventure!

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!

Texas seems to be a state that leaves most of the members alone --- as long as you're not being stupid. Here in OKC, the cops just wave as you buzz by.

Best of luck in your upcoming adventure!
I kind of figured that. I see people all the time driving down the street I work on all the time on theses. One guy is a hot rodder kind of guy and he builds hopped up ones that he drives.

Kind of where I got the idea to build a legal CC engine but build it up to make it punch like a larger displacement. Down side is I don't know if I want 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I know 2 stroke has a bunch of aftermarket performance parts for them and I have been eyeing the Raw Racer 66cc/80cc engine kit from kings motor bikes.

But sadly I really don't need all that stuff as I really am wanting a integrated fuel tank in the bike frame.

So far I am looking at the GT aluminum frame for $129, the Double springer fork for $149, the 160mm front and rear disc brake kit with caliper brackets for $55.

Only thing is haven't decided on other areas yet such as seat, rims, tires, accessories such as headlight and speedometer. I also really haven't decided on the engine. But I guess for a first day search I'm not doing too bad on making decisions.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Only thing is haven't decided on other areas yet such as seat, rims, tires, accessories such as headlight and speedometer. I also really haven't decided on the engine. But I guess for a first day search I'm not doing too bad on making decisions.

I think that the only things left from my original build are the frame and pedal sprocket. Everything else has evolved/improved. You're ahead of the game....I didn't find this forum until after my bike was built. Many headaches/issues could've been avoided. Oh well, that's just part of the 'charm' of this hobby!

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
I think that the only things left from my original build are the frame and pedal sprocket. Everything else has evolved/improved. You're ahead of the game....I didn't find this forum until after my bike was built. Many headaches/issues could've been avoided. Oh well, that's just part of the 'charm' of this hobby!
Honestly right now I would not even be here, I was watching Jay Lenos Garage on youtube and he recently uploaded a video on Phantom Bikes, have to say I wasn't too crazy about the $1500 price tag. But I started thinking if I could do one on a budget it would give me something to do without breaking the bank. Right now I cant do anything on my restoration projects cause I need more money than I can spare to spend right now but building one of theses wouldn't be too bad for me. After all I am only looking at $130 or so for a frame.

I did see to the right sponsor advertisement for Bicycle-Engines and see they have two different frames listed, the GTA and the GTS for $170. Not sure what the differences are. Also not sure if that would be a better base for my build over the GT frame from Kings Motor Bikes for $130.

All I can do I guess is just work on making lists and asking for opinions on what I have picked out so far.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I just joined. Slow day at work today had me looking into this most of the day. I wouldn't have if it wasn't for me browsing Jay leno`s garage on youtube and seeing the California based company building engine powered bicycles that got me into looking at this.

Still want to build one but seems some people here in the states are having trouble with getting tickets and being harassed.
Not in Texas, gas or electric are accepted, but you're kind of late to the gas bike party. I recommend you consider joining the avant garde electric bike movement which is gaining speed like an avalanche. You'll have more freedom where you can ride. In Texas eBikes can ride on city multi use trails, but gas bikes aren't allowed. You can also take an eBike on commuter trains.

Last edited:

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
Not in Texas, gas or electric are accepted, but you're kind of late to the gas bike party. I recommend you consider joining the avant garde electric bike movement which is gaining speed like an avalanche. You'll have more freedom where you can ride. In Texas eBikes can ride on city multi use trails, but gas bikes aren't allowed. You can also take an eBike on commuter trains.
Interesting. I might build an electric one as well. My main goal of building one is to build a early retro styled Indian motor bike. I always wanted one but cant afford buying a real one so this is the next best thing for me.

Once I get one built I might build another in electric to go more places.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Interesting. I might build an electric one as well. My main goal of building one is to build a early retro styled Indian motor bike. I always wanted one but cant afford buying a real one so this is the next best thing for me.

Once I get one built I might build another in electric to go more places.

Electric would be a good choice for Texas. You could pretty much build whatever you want, and as long as you don't ride it like a total asse, you'd have to be on fire to get their attention .