Flyer Production

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thought I share a few pictures from the Sportsman Flyer Factory. We work out of two shops now and these pics are where main fabrication happens.

This is what I call a pedal bike frame that we produce for Worksman, and is what we use for the smaller bolt in engine kits. Right now I have mounts and reduction drive kits for the Harbor Freight 79cc four stroke, Honda GC160 and the china two strokes for these frames. We don't use these frames for the 200cc engines.

Production by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Head tube lugs.

Production by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Gas tank construction. All tig welded and laser cut stainless steel.

Flyer Factory by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here's what I rode to the shop today. Bonneville Flyer chassis #8. We may stop production of this design at 15 as we have an updated version in the works that will capture what we have learned running the salt flats.

More frames in production in the backround. Looks like the loop down tube is being brazed to the bottom bracket lug.

Here is an adapter plate and sprocket that is going on a rear disc brake hub.

Adapter and Split Sprocket by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Final pick of a Boneville spec chassis that is running a full charging system, battery, and electric starter.

Bonneville #6 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Reactions: Hud

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pat,
You've come a long way since we first met on this forum. Congratulations to you and your brother and your whole production crew. I remember your first Panther which I thought at the time was the cat's meow. Turns out that cat had a bunch of fine kittens... ha! Lot's of eye candy on your flicker site. You've done well, sir. You make us all proud as forum members who have watched one fine production after another. Woohoo!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The Honda 160 in a Sportsman frame with a nice sidecar or maybe even a tri car front end. I think bike camp may have to start early.

Pat, thank you for showing us the inner workings of the bikes being built.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Honda 160 in a Sportsman frame with a nice sidecar or maybe even a tri car front end. I think bike camp may have to start early.

Pat, thank you for showing us the inner workings of the bikes being built.

Steve.
Steve,
That would make an awesome tri-car... how about the ultimate sociable? Even better.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,

If I don't make it into Heaven your name is going to come up, often.

With all the time and money I've spent building my tri car I could have bought one of Pats bikes and had Honda reliability and added the front end and been riding a long time ago.

A sociable, based on the 212cc Harbour Freight motorized frame would be perfect. Buy the bike parts and all you would need to do is concentrate on the body and be money and time ahead.
I think a sociable would be wonderful to build. We've done the tri cars already.

Steve.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
G'DAY PAT,
i think SB has said it all and when i saw the new post i couldnt wait to click on i thought i was going to be blown away with the new bike what is on the flyer's drawing board so cant wait to see the machine ,
i sure like how your new tank's have alittle more roll in the centre of them,are those new to the line of all your build's now or just on the cruiser deluxe i see are they like your brothers tank he built for his bike and do they hold alittle more gas.
Congrat's on all your merits you set yourself Pat and how you go about your machine's are second to none
i must ask are there any bonnevilles frame s spare to buy? LUCKY 13 i would like to have here in oz but guess those bikes are built complete to order so i out of luck on this ...
i sure crave to build one of your bikes in the very near future
We all so lucky to have seen the Sportsman Flyer grow over the year's and amazing to see each build come alive and i looked on your fick'r to see the proud panther and workman builds then how amazing it has changed,then the UNBELIEVABLE i believe is the Keystone art you designed do you ride this bike much ,

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for the comments, guys!
The frames all share the same shape from the seat post tube forward. Built in the same frame jig and all use the same shape gas tank.

The Pedal bike frames use the Worksman INB rear triangle, have 110mm hub spacing, and use 1" o.d. .090" wall ERW tube in the front triangle, 5/8" and 3/4" tube in the rear. All engine mounts clamp into the frames. HF79, GC160, and China two stroke engines can be mounted. GC160 mount is still a couple weeks away as I finalize details.

The Sportsman 200 uses 1" o.d. .120" DOM tube in the front triangle, 5/8" and 3/4" rear tubes and 135mm hub spacing. All engine mounts either lugged and brazed or tig welded to the frame. The GX200 series engine is the only option.

The Bonneville is basically identical to a Sportsman 200 in the front triangle with 1" o.d. .120" wall DOM tube and weld in mounts. I cheat the head tube another degree for more rake. Rear triangle is 3/4" .120 all DOM and adds 2" of wheel base. Fatter forks, steering stops and stabilizer mount. Couple other details here and there.

Here is a direct comparisome of the frames.

Sportsman Flyer Details by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Flyer Details by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hummm... Wonder if a controler would fit in the tool box for an e bike config? Cool stuff Pat! AND: Has my computer gone all wonkie or is your store down for updates?

kdey777

Nov 9, 2014
allentown Pa
Every time I get to spend some time working on my bike and do even the most minor fab and it comes out just as i wanted i just think aloud about how great it would be to do that as a living and then i also remind myself that if i were i would get frustrated and need a vacation every month. How did you make this happen? Can we all work for you? i can live in the shop and only require one meal every day and a half and beer.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Velo,
A couple guys have made electric bikes already and I did get good feedback, like the tank needs to be wider. Their batteries fit but they wanted to use a larger batter pack. As for the controller, not sure if it fit the toolbox, but the plan is that is where it would go.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
! TASTY ! I've been vacelating on a electric build! What would be really cool is instead of a door port for battery access; using duz fasteners for full access to the entire compartment.

Attachments