2017 3rd Annual Midwest Scarecrow Run

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That's a classy bike, love the forks, light and chrome.
The paint is just right for it, cool beans.
Thanks Slogger. I like the looks of the forks as well, but unfortunately they are all looks and have no working shock mechanism. I am used to all my past bikes having a working front springer....so i may decide to change the front forks at some point.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I did get some mirrors mounted so I don't have to worry as much about some "texter" or drunk farmer coming up from behind while on our Scarecrow Run and turning me into a stain on the road. That would make for a not so good event if the host wasn't around to serve up some vittles and drinks after a long ride. I also got a new speedometer installed. 1.7 miles on the odometer so far and hopefully a few thousand to go.? Get my poo poo pipe installed and I will be ready to roll for our cruise.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
From Mapquest. Our ride will be right around 75 miles round trip.
http://mapq.st/2nB3hXm
There will be 2 possible places to get fuel along the route. Ipava, IL has a gas station and Avon, IL has a gas station. There are three parks along the route where we can stop and take a break as well.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just put in for the time off work........hopefully it will be approved.

Longest day trip I've done has been less than 50 miles. May have to do an 'exploratory' soon!!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Just put in for the time off work........hopefully it will be approved.

Longest day trip I've done has been less than 50 miles. May have to do an 'exploratory' soon!!
xseler

If you think there might be a chance you might be able to come join us...please pm me your T-Shirt size and anyone else you might bring along. Then..even if something comes up where you are unable to make it..a few extras might not be a bad idea.

I used to live in Elk City, Oklahoma for a year back around 1991. I drove there from London Mills, IL non stop. I didn't even shut my car off once. I had a 1982 Mustang GT that had header pipes. The headers would get the starter hot and sometimes if you shut it off it wouldn't start until it cooled down. So I just kept right on rolling and drove straight thru. Of course I was a much younger man then and could go more then a few hours without having to nap like I do now.LOL

A have done four runs that were around 75 miles and many 50 mile runs. Its not too bad if you take lots of pit stops and don't allow yourself to get to sore in the bum before stopping. If you allow yourself to go too far without taking a rest and your bum becomes really sore, then it seems like you just can't recover for the rest of the day or even weeks and the ride becomes painful and NOT fun. However if you make it a point to stop often(every 10-12 miles) and walk around awhile and talk with your riding buddy for 5-10 minutes each time...then, in my experience the ride is much more easier on the backside and a much more enjoyable experience for sure.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I just did a 'non-stop' from Atlanta last month. Took 14 hours. Looks to be about 655 miles to your little spot of paradise.....not too bad, about 10 hours.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Bike started up and ran perfect even after sitting seven months. Basically ready to roll! Just need to clean her up and air up the tires and should be good to go.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Are there any good camping spots close by?? Thinking I may bring a tent to capture the full flavor of the trip....

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Are there any good camping spots close by?? Thinking I may bring a tent to capture the full flavor of the trip....
Absolutely. Could fix you up with some outstanding free camping right here along the Spoon River. My brother is the village maintenance man and I could get him to open up the public restroom and shower house at the River Side Park...which has a nice area to camp.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Absolutely. Could fix you up with some outstanding free camping right here along the Spoon River. My brother is the village maintenance man and I could get him to open up the public restroom and shower house at the River Side Park...which has a nice area to camp.

That sounds great! I'll let you know as it gets closer. I've got a Colorado backcountry trip planned in July that I may say that will use up my 'quota' of tent time.......LOL

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Think that mine is close to ready. Still need to rig a holder for an extra can of fuel.

Does Illinois require a tail light? I already have a headlight.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Think that mine is close to ready. Still need to rig a holder for an extra can of fuel.

Does Illinois require a tail light? I already have a headlight.
No need to rig up anything to carry extra fuel. My wife will be following along as a support truck and plenty of room for you fuel in the truck bed.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
No need to rig up anything to carry extra fuel. My wife will be following along as a support truck and plenty of room for you fuel in the truck bed.

Thanks!

As Forrest said, "Well, that's one less thing....."