Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > High Performance Bicycle Engine Tips and Motorized Race Bicycles

High Performance Bicycle Engine Tips and Motorized Race Bicycles We all want our bicycle engines to push our bikes faster. Get exclusive engine modification tips and suggestions from us. Also check out some of our racing members builds

modified cdi and cr 80 coil

We all want our bicycle engines to push our bikes faster. Get exclusive engine modification tips and suggestions from us. Also check out some of our racing members builds

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: modified cdi and cr 80 coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.mah View Post
Would this ignition coil be okay to use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTERNAL-IGN...752da0&vxp=mtr
It should be ok...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Just about any single lead coil would work. I think even a car raceing coil would work, too, as long as it has the same wireing. Of course, then again, who needs a coil as big as one of these engines...

Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM

awesome! thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Hi, thats exactly wot u want. The CR80 coil gives a really hot spark, better than most of them. The lead from the free end of the charge caps in the CDI goes to the spade terminal on the coil. The earth lead from the CDI goes to the core of the coil with a large eye connector. Cheers
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 AM

Just put mine together tonight, tested it, no spark. Are the charge caps ( i rhink thats what they are....2 biggest things on the board) directional? I'll be re checking all the connections and orientations in the morning.
Also, if jumpers 4 And 5 are left totally open, will you get any spark? I'll be jumping them to jag settings but would just like to narrow down what my problem is.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by k.mah; 03-05-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Revise ?'s after searching more
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM

Found my answer about the scr on page 27
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Glad u found the problem easily. Yes the SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) has a cathode (K), gate (G) & anode (A), & must be oriented correctly, as must all diodes & the 3 tanalum timing caps (the + marked legs go to earth). The large charge caps & all resistors are not polarized & can go in either way. Cheers
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM

my scr was reversed, i built the circuit in mirror image to the diagram, but everything seems to still be in the correct orientation, +'s to earth on the timing caps, and double checked the diodes...but still not getting spark.
I do have the 47 and .47timing caps going from the same hole to the ground (got tight on space and figured if they were in the circuit anyways, it wouldnt make a difference, but i may be wrong.
On a side note, what does jumper 2 do? I searched a bunch but am still blank on it
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Hey guys, if u read thru this thread & the thread about adjustable timing magnets u will find several warning on the dangers of running to much advance. These warnings r 4 good reason, u can easily hole a piston top, do big & small end bearing damage etc by having the spark too advanced. In this & the "roll ur own CDI" thread I have given a couple of ways to know if the spark is detrimentally advanced, but if u r running advanced spark & r unsure u should pull the jug & piston & view the underside of the piston crown. If all is ok it'll be the normal alloy color with an oil coating. If however, it shows black carbon deposits on the underside of the crown, u r running too much advance. The black carbon deposited is burnt oil resulting from excessive heat. Back the timing off. It doesnt take long to pull the jug & piston to check & is much better than replacing ur engine. Have fun. Cheers

Last edited by ivan H; 03-05-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.mah View Post
my scr was reversed, i built the circuit in mirror image to the diagram, but everything seems to still be in the correct orientation, +'s to earth on the timing caps, and double checked the diodes...but still not getting spark.
I do have the 47 and .47timing caps going from the same hole to the ground (got tight on space and figured if they were in the circuit anyways, it wouldnt make a difference, but i may be wrong.
On a side note, what does jumper 2 do? I searched a bunch but am still blank on it
Print off a new copy of the circuit and go through it part by part and make sure they all connect to the right parts in the circuit. As you trace through the circuit use a highlighter marker to trace the circuit as you check the connections. Also make sure you don't have any shorts that connect two areas that are not suppose to be connected.

JP2 is for timing.